• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nifty, compact laser printer/FAX/scanner suggestions"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I've just read the one-star review on Amazon

My GF is also in the market for a new printer, so I'm following this thread with interest!
    That is a bit tight putting your GF up as payment for a £200 printer isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    i was on a similar quest a month ago and i went for the canon mg6250. can't fault it so far. canon = quality.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I bought a seccy hand HP Colour LaserJet 4700, it's massive, duplex, two extra trays, mostly full carts, ethernet, not wifi, no scan, no fax but it's A1 as a printer, sleeps like it;s off, prints fast, cartridges refillable (with a hack - ie drilling a hole) so far, A1.

£200

Epson Inkjet that does scan, fax. wifi etc drank ink and complained about blocked nozzles and alignment, now in the shed in the Ebay pile (ie will stay there till I'm on Ch 5 IT Hoarders and can't move....)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Many thanks for the replies, which I hope have benefited others as well as myself.

God, so that's another reason to avoid ink jets in general - Not only are their ink cartridges expensive, but they swig ink each time they are turned on!

edit: although the Brother DCP-J725DW which Platypus mentioned looks OK. I think I'll order that
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 1 September 2012, 21:23.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Sorry, let me explain. I looked both these up on Amazon.co.uk
    Canon Pixma MG8150 or the Samsung CLX 3185FW

and I read the one star reviews (each has several) and there's enough bad there that I will avoid both.

The Canon drinks ink and as for the Samsung, several are "very disappointed" with.

To be fair, each also has many 5 star reviews.

EDIT: just thought I'd mention it. I'd not trying to pee on your cornflakes, just looking for a similar device myself.

I spotted this one and passed the details on to the GF.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-DCP-...413184&sr=1-10
    Last edited by Platypus; 31 August 2012, 11:41.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post

My GF is also in the market for a new printer, so I'm following this thread with interest!
    one star review for which printer?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    at the moment it is between the Canon Pixma MG8150 or the Samsung CLX 3185FW

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    My multi function is a canon mx885 and it scans to pdf really well. duplex print. wifi print and you can get compatible refills for it.
    I have the similar (lower spec?) MX870, with the same capabilities, love it. Just got a set of 5 ink carts for it for $10 per set.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    as part of my new office purchases I was looking at this very topic, I haven't decided yet but this article was bookmarked.

I have an MG6150, great quality, but a tad heavy on the cartridges.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    as part of my new office purchases I was looking at this very topic, I haven't decided yet but this article was bookmarked.

Last edited by chef; 30 August 2012, 13:22.

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    I got one of these at home, BROTHER DCP-J715W Wireless All-in-one Colour Printer, works well for me!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    My multi function is a canon mx885 and it scans to pdf really well. duplex print. wifi print and you can get compatible refills for it.
    If nothing else that one looks the dogs danglies!

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Are you sure a modern inkjet wouldn't do? They will surely have fixed the hardware/firmware for the PDF issue and they will be a lot smaller than an laser.

Here is a review of the more popular ones but a number of them talk about cost of toner. The HP Laserjet Pro works out at 22p/pp

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-cent...-best-printer/

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    started a topic Nifty, compact laser printer/FAX/scanner suggestions

Nifty, compact laser printer/FAX/scanner suggestions

My father has an ink-jet printer, which is almost as old as he is and doesn't seem to properly align images and text boxes and suchlike in certain PDFs.

So any recommendations for a bang up to date and reliable compact laser printer/FAX/scanner (not ink-jet) would be much appreciated.

It must be compact enough to fit in an alcove, say not much larger than a typical A4 scanner. He only prints two or three sheets at a time, always A4, and so doesn't need one with a great big paper tray or more than one tray.

As usual, money no object. I'd rather pay a bit more for reliability - I mean it'll only be a couple of hundred at the most I would have thought.

Double-sided printing would be a bonus, but I'm guessing that and a shoe box size are fairly mutually exclusive. FAX and scanner functionality are more important.

Working...
X