• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows XP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows XP

Does anybody know where I can get a copy of XP - just the install media. I have the keys and so I'm not after them. My trusty old XP cd has cracked and stupidly I never made a backup of it. As my son is tied to XP for the short term, I have no real way to reinstall it when it goes wrong. I've tried torrents with little joy! I downloaded 1 copy that would not extract from the compressed file it was saved and and the other was the Italian version...a fact that would have been handy to mention before I started the download.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Does anybody know where I can get a copy of XP - just the install media. I have the keys and so I'm not after them. My trusty old XP cd has cracked and stupidly I never made a backup of it. As my son is tied to XP for the short term, I have no real way to reinstall it when it goes wrong. I've tried torrents with little joy! I downloaded 1 copy that would not extract from the compressed file it was saved and and the other was the Italian version...a fact that would have been handy to mention before I started the download.
    I think the problem will be without knowing what type of key you have (I don't mean Home/Pro, but Retail, Volume Licence etc) the odds of getting a compatible match would be slim.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

There is a tool available that I've used before that tells you what type of key you have, down to which OEM partner (if it's an OEM key) that the key is tied to.

I'll try and dig out the link but it was something like "Windows XP Key Validator" - although Googling that will likely turn up a virus more than anything.

Comment

My keys were via the microsoft action pack
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Can't you just download the ISO's from the Microsoft website then?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Ah.... last time I tried to validate one of those, the MS licensing server said "no"

Actually, I just looked, mine were MSDN keys from 2001

Comment

XP ISO's are particularly difficult to get hold of legitimately as it was only around the Vista-era they started putting them online for all to download - the likes of DigitalRiver make Vista/7 ISO's available for everybody to download, but that doesn't help you I'm afraid.

Comment

If you have a technet subscription or know someone who has, XP is still available in various flavours from there. No need to use up the technet keys if you already have one.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  If you have a technet subscription or know someone who has, XP is still available in various flavours from there. No need to use up the technet keys if you already have one.
                  Unfortunately I don't. Thanks for the responses. I think he heeds to get an updated screen reader.

As my son is blind he has to use a screen reader. The screen reader itself costs about £800 which is a bit bleedin steep. Like most of the kids at his school he uses a cracked copy on his own PC, which perpetuates the vicious circle. Sw is too expensive which encourages the use of knocked off copies and because so many knocked off copies are floating about the company has to charge more for the sw. The cracked copy he has only works on xp which is why he's stuck with an aging OS and no media to install it with.

We give him the DLA money that is paid to us which means he can easily afford the £800 for the legit screen reader, but he's a bit of a tight @rse and doesn't want to spend the money. I've told him that he needs to pay for the legit screen reader....so he's trying to get a crack for the windows 7 version rather than see his funds drop!!

If you are blind, everything IT seems to be hugely expensive - presumably due to the low economies of scale. We were looking at getting him an embosser - basically a big dot matrix printer that punches out braille. The cheapest of these are about £1500.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I know it can be tricky switching to a different AT but it might be worth having a look at NVDA - it's a free open-source screen reader and is now a mature and widely-supported product, and people I know in the field of accessibility speak highly of it. Given that it's free, it can't do any harm to have a try of it on a VM or such

Comment

Working...
                    X