• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WWDC - Paging all fanbois (and Cojak)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, just discovered that.

I must say that I deliberately got mine in March and I don't regret that decision.

The New MacBook Pro: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I must say that I deliberately got mine in March and I don't regret that decision.

I think for his reason, the 2011-12 MBP is going to be a future classic

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Don't go near an apple store then. The retina screen is a thing of beauty is incredibly tempting.

As for the story above given three years apple care who cares how repairable it is. If anything goes wrong you can go into a store and they'll fix it. And after three years its written off so you can get another one.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That's consumer electronics for you. I suspect a few of their competitors (sony particularly) will go the same way, and the average consumer won't give a toss.

The rest of us will buy thinkpads
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            They've also glued the battery in so its difficult to get out without blowing yourself up in the process and made the display an integrated part of the lid so it can't be replaced individually, needs the whole unit along with the bluetooth and whatever other bits and bobs are in there replacing.

Bit naughty as they've effectively made the AppleCare package into a 'must have' rather than a 'nice to have'. You'd be stupid not to get it with that model so Apple should subsidise it if they make the kit unfixable as its few hundred quid extra to get that.
            Yep. AppleCare definitely needs to be added to the budget. I long ago decided that AppleCare was a good idea for laptops after a mate had his screen pack in.

I'm no longer in the UK so this doesn't affect me, but is the cost of AppleCare allowable in pushing your purchase price over GBP 2K for VAT purposes? It might help someone out there...
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
            X