• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations for children interested in programming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for children interested in programming

A friend's kid is interested in programming; the dad is techy but not a programmer and wondered what might be a good way to learn. They've ordered a Pi but I reckon for a kid Java is a big ask, there's so much stuff on top of the basics.

Are there good (free) versions of BASIC or such things as we learned on decades ago, floating around? I have fond memories of GWBASIC and QBASIC, not to mention BBC-BASIC and LOGO.
    I kind of imagine there might be nice web-based versions in this day which could allow a kid to get into writing code for fun?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Something like BBC emulators?

The BBC lives! -- Emulators

Should take them too long to get their name flashing on the screen for a bit of fun to see if they have the bug.

How old are you talking here?

Could you not get them some very basic HTML editor and get them to start messing about with webpages. Not quite programming but might show structure and form of code which has a visual output in the form of their own webpage?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In my opinion, web-development is an ugly and complicated car-crash of over-stretched technologies contorted to do things they were never meant for, which lags behind proper development languages by a generation, and behind modern development tools by several generations I wouldn't recommend it as an entry to programming to anyone!

Comment

Fair comment. Just thought it might have a quick rewards v effort to keep younger kids interested.

Would like someone elses ideas as I could be interested in this. They are hooked on minecraft at the moment so will have to be fun to capture their interest.

Comment

Not sure about a strict BBC emulator but a web-based simple BASIC sounds quite neat to me... seems like an HTML5 or iPad app must exist.

I found Quite BASIC for instance.

Comment

Start them on C or it's a waste of time. Close to the machine so they understand how a computer works.

Comment

Rubbish. Start people on C for proper programming, sure... start kids on something they can understand. A 5-year-old write a simple BASIC script without sub-routines but C is fundamentally more complicated with more difficult concepts to grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Rubbish. Start people on C for proper programming, sure... start kids on something they can understand. A 5-year-old write a simple BASIC script without sub-routines but C is fundamentally more complicated with more difficult concepts to grasp.
                Fortran? End of my programming career that crap was. Lecturer loved it so much it put me off for life.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I agree. Start with the basics - variables, if statements, loops, functions etc. Once they've got the hang of that they can think about moving to a more complicated language or topics.

Comment

Start close to the metal:

Minibloq: Documentation

or

Modkit - Alpha Club

That way they appreciate the hardware. And the joy of flashing an LED or writing your name on an LCD is great. Arduino cost ~ £20.

Its easy writing code with visual studio, its difficult to write good code without the appreciation of how the hardware works.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X