• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 8 public beta released

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I say it categorically - for an established mature company maintaining user base is more important than going into something new that would piss off existing customers. Keep Windows metro tulip on the phones, tablets and don't piss off existing customers.

For all that and office Ribbon I blame solely one person - Sinofsky who I hope will be fired out of a cannon to outer space in the very near future
    I've said it before... if you have a strong vision and a conviction that your new idea is better for users in the long-term, you can't give them the option to turn it off. Because people are resistant to change, even if a short-term adjustment period would lead to long-term gains, they would try the new way for 2min, get confused and then switch to the old version. Because people also fall into patterns very easily, they would then never think about switching it back.
    You see people who do this with Windows... they are still trying as hard as they can to make it look like Windows 95.

I've also said before that it's far better for your own productivity to spend 30min teaching yourself how to use Ribbon than it is to spend years complaining about it. It's NOT hard to use, so regardless of what Ms 'should' do, your life will be easier and happier if you accept they HAVE done and adapt to it as quickly as possible.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      if you have a strong vision and a conviction that your new idea is better for users in the long-term, you can't give them the option to turn it off.
      Yes you can - they've given Windows 2000 looks "classic theme" even in Win 7, that was smart thing to do, now they removed that also in Win 8 but Metro is totally take the piss.

What you fail to understand is that this isn't charity - I am paying for that product and I expect it to do what I want, not some knobhead in Microsoft design who think's what's better for me - that it I who will decide, ok?

If you want to use Metro then it's fine by me, but don't fooking force me to and this is exactly what Microsoft is trying to do.

Good ideas rarely need any forced measure to make them work anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X