• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fedora 16

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedora 16

G'day! Why is f16 so crap? Is it because otherwise people wouldn't buy RHEL or are RH developers a bunch of m0r0ns?
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Use another flavour of linux.

I do when I get pissed off with a distribution.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
      G'day! Why is f16 so crap? Is it because otherwise people wouldn't buy RHEL or are RH developers a bunch of m0r0ns?
      It looks as though I had a lucky escape. I thought I'd try it but came across this sort of stuff pretty quickly: Fedora forbidden items.

Fedora Suggests: Consider using a graphics adapter from Intel or any other manufacturer that provides full specifications or source code.
      Nope, not going to happen. I ain't going to buy new hardware just because some pedant has a thing about proprietary software.

Meanwhile, off we go to openSUSE 12.1.

Installs beautifully, looks nice etc.

Out of the first 3 apps I wanted to do some serious work with:
      • first one has 90% of the options I want to access greyed out
      • second one has a very niggling prompt asking me if I have compiled it with the spell checker? Nope - grab source, recompile with/without spell checker. Still same annoying prompt.
      • third one crashes shortly after launch

Boot to Gparted CD, zap partition, install Linux Mint.
      Last edited by Sysman; 25 November 2011, 20:36.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Linux Mint FTW!
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
          Just use Windows like everyone else.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Can't believe it took 5 posts before someone got the correct answer, I though this was an IT Contractors forum?
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Linux is a great server OS but Windows 7 kills it on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                Linux is a great server OS but Windows 7 kills it on the desktop.

There are reasons some of us have more than one operating system.

And if you have a low spec hardware you can't run Windows 7 unless you like rebooting frequently.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  No F way! I use other Linux distros and Netbsd for myself but I had to train for an interview and they run Crapora on both servers and clients. Eventually I settled for Centos and it works like a charm (I still wouldn't use it for myself though).

And then, I mean, Windows server side? Ho do you ssh into Windows?

EDIT: ... but I can see why Linux gets a bad name recently: Fedora, Ubuntu, Opensuse, flawed and bloated by default...
                  Last edited by petergriffin; 26 November 2011, 13:59. Reason: Optional
                  <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

openSUSE 12.1 is looking OK with KDE 4.7.

Windows 7 on modest hardware is appallingly slow; also needs re-boots.

Comment

Working...
                    X