• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Phone 7

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Phone 7

Anyone currently have a smartphone running this?

What's it like? Is it fast? Intuitive? Any bugs/issues?

I currently have a HTC HD2 which runs Windows Mobile 6.5 which, I understand, can be 'upgraded' to WP7.

It can also be 'hacked' to run Android but am thinking of going towards WP7 but thought I would canvas for feedback first.

I'm not sure upgrading an existing handset is going to give you the best experience of any phone OS.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Anyone currently have a smartphone running this?
      Yep - HTC Mozart.

Very happy with it. Particularly like the Facebook integration with phonebook. Fast - yes. Intuitive - yes. I've not had any issues at all with it and I've owned for 6months now.

Can't comment on any upgrade issues. Why not just get a new one?

Comment

what phantom said.

I love it.

Comment

As tempting as Android would be, looking here there are too many faulty things that would deter me, I think.

There's a decent walkthrough here though which tells you how to do it if you feel like trying it out.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I'm not sure upgrading an existing handset is going to give you the best experience of any phone OS.
            It's the thought of bricking a perfectly good handset which puts me off
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Appreciate the replies.

Thinking of upgrading as, after a cursory glance at eBay last night, the HTC HD2 only has a resale value of about £150 and I don't think I'd be able to get a comparable spec new smartphone for that kind of money. I don't mind topping this amount up but I'd imagine you are looking at about at least £300 for a decent current spec smartphone.

Agree, that upgrading will mean I will potentially lose some features but from the cursory look of the video linked to in my OP, I think upgrading to WP7 shouldn't cause too many issues.

I was originally thinking of going to Android as I think the upgrade involves running it from a storage card so should be easier to revert back to WM 6.5 if required but as Faq suggests, there look like there will be too many non-working elements.

I'll investigate further, as agree the thought of bricking the phone is a concern, but may just take a punt with WP7.

Comment

Appreciate the replies.

Thinking of upgrading as, after a cursory glance at eBay last night, the HTC HD2 only has a resale value of about £150 and I don't think I'd be able to get a comparable spec new smartphone for that kind of money. I don't mind topping this amount up but I'd imagine you are looking at about at least £300 for a decent current spec smartphone.

Agree, that upgrading will mean I will potentially lose some features but from the cursory look of the video linked to in my OP, I think upgrading to WP7 shouldn't cause too many issues.

I was originally thinking of going to Android as I think the upgrade involves running it from a storage card so should be easier to revert back to WM 6.5 if required but as Faq suggests, there look like there will be too many non-working elements.

I'll investigate further, as agree the thought of bricking the phone is a concern, but may just take a punt with WP7.
                I upgraded my HD2 to WP7 after the grueling year with 6.5. It's one of the best OS's I've used on a phone, very intuitive, everything is at infront of you and no hunting around for settings. There are a few issues (No NoDo update for the HD2 yet so no copy&pasta, marketplace could of been better, no GPS app).

[offthebooks]It's actually pretty simple to update to WP7 and if you just go into a phone shop and ask to demo a WP7 phone then jot down the imei sneakly (Just bring it up in settings and take a picture with your current phone pretending your just taking a pic for reference) you can spoof the Live services.

I also upgraded my dads HD2 and he can't stop showing it off (My dad is tech illiterate btw so it shows how easy it is to use).

If you follow the instructions bricking your phone is about as likely as your monitor eating your head.

Comment

Originally posted by NotReallyButSeriously View Post
                  I upgraded my HD2 to WP7 after the grueling year with 6.5. It's one of the best OS's I've used on a phone, very intuitive, everything is at infront of you and no hunting around for settings. There are a few issues (No NoDo update for the HD2 yet so no copy&pasta, marketplace could of been better, no GPS app).

[offthebooks]It's actually pretty simple to update to WP7 and if you just go into a phone shop and ask to demo a WP7 phone then jot down the imei sneakly (Just bring it up in settings and take a picture with your current phone pretending your just taking a pic for reference) you can spoof the Live services.

I also upgraded my dads HD2 and he can't stop showing it off (My dad is tech illiterate btw so it shows how easy it is to use).

If you follow the instructions bricking your phone is about as likely as your monitor eating your head.
                  Nice one.

I've not looked into this in much depth yet so the answers may already be available but can you advise regarding the below?

1) I believe you need to activate your copy of WP7 with MS. How do you do this?
                  2) Does WP7 include copies of Office Mobile (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) & Outlook?

Comment

Nice one.

I've not looked into this in much depth yet so the answers may already be available but can you advise regarding the below?

1) I believe you need to activate your copy of WP7 with MS. How do you do this?
                    2) Does WP7 include copies of Office Mobile (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) & Outlook?
                    1) Same thing I said about the IMEI number, just ring up their support & say you need your activation number for a HD7 (Important), then quote a HD7 IMEI. They'll give you a new activation code which will work on your HD2. You might have to edit your registry to act like it is a HD7 not a HD2 but I don't remember doing it.
                    2) Yep they do, not sure on Outlook, but it does include a nice email application.

Comment

Working...
                    X