• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DVD copying problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD copying problems

When copying to a DVD from explorer the whole machine slows to a crawl although memory/cpu usage doesn't seem unusual.

You might say just go off and do something else it but copying big directories doesn't work properly, it gets so far then stops with a failure message. The back of the DVD indicates some stuff has copied but I can't read it. So I have to do backups in modestly sized bits and keep coming back. Really annoying.

Any bright ideas? Can't find much on net.

Update
    That should probably be sometimes slows to a crawl or does so initially. Suddenly seems ok now its been copying for 10 minutes.

Update 2: Ah no, it's only speeded up because it isn't actually copying. The dialog is still up but it's been stuck on the same small bitmap for 10 minutes.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 5 January 2011, 16:19.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Have a look and see if there is a firmware update for your dvd drive.

If its failing to copy it could be on its way out

Comment

Cheers. Possible, although the PC is only a year old and the drive has been used very little.

Same sort of problems in Cyberlink DVD suite so it's not just an explorer problem.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Cheers. Possible, although the PC is only a year old and the drive has been used very little.

Same sort of problems in Cyberlink DVD suite so it's not just an explorer problem.
        That would tend to imply the drive is struggling. If it's a desktop replacing the drive is trivial (assuming you've got a basic hardware understanding) and very cheap. I'd be tempted to whip the lid off and make sure the cables are well pushed in first though.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          That would tend to imply the drive is struggling. If it's a desktop replacing the drive is trivial (assuming you've got a basic hardware understanding) and very cheap. I'd be tempted to whip the lid off and make sure the cables are well pushed in first though.
          Before swapping hardware I would download a .iso file of a Linux Live DVD e.g. LINUX Mint.

If you can burn an iso at normal speed then it is probably not a faulty drive. It may be a Windoze problem.

Comment

You advocate trying a new OS for any hardware problem?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No Doohg he is advocating burning an iso file to test drive speed as we know Xoggy is an upstanding individualso he is suggesting a freely available iso not 'hot squirrel botty action part III.iso' you might advocate.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

hot squirrel botty action?

I like the sound of that.

Ta for all answers.
                bloggoth

Comment

What was the nature of the error you were getting? Was it just a buffer underrun?

Have you got any DVD writing software other than the op sys that you can use?

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  hot squirrel botty action? I like the sound of that.
                  As vetran said, it needs to be hot squirrel botty action III. The first two were made in the Midlands by some dodgy Russian outfit and were pants. Link to promotional still.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Ta for answers but it's writing now, although still makes machine unresponsive. There's a free MS thing here.

Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media

Don't think it actually found any fault but I had to switch to administrator account to use it and then got prompts for copying some files I wasn't getting on the other account.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X