• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Link Farms/Exchanges

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link Farms/Exchanges

What is thje general opinion of these things as a device to get you up the SERPS? Anyone had a good experience with one.

One of my sites is getting little footfall, despite doing all the needfulls (keyword research, dmoz, google directory etc etc ) which have worked for my other sites this one just remains a problem, it has a pagerank of 4 as well so is hardly a basket case.

I know the problem is that the site sits in a very big online market space (thousands of competitors) so I am thinking of going to the next step to see if I can improve it.

2 way link exchanges aren't very effective, although a few relevant ones won't hurt.

I'd stay away from link farms and 3-way link exchanges. You can get links form article marketing, blog commenting, forum posting, directory submissions and asking other websites to link to you. All of this can be outsourced fairly cheaply.

Then there's social media as well..

Oh yeah - and SKA

Google "market samurai" if you're looking for a good tool
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

search for angela's backlinks Angela’s Backlinks Update… | Shane Brown
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Even when I was doing web/seo work 3 years ago working with link farms was asking for trouble. Fell in to the black hat SEO for sure. Link farming and keyword stuffing were the sure fire way to disappear of the rankings altogether for a period.

Swapping links with similar sites wasn't such a bad thing as long as it wasn't on a page title 'Links' and had related anchor text. I would think with the amount of abuse this was getting a few years ago I can't imagine google rates link swapping at all with the emphasis on one way now.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          search for angela's backlinks Angela’s Backlinks Update… | Shane Brown
          That's interesting, he seems to be quite sure they worked for him and quickly but I have heard all the info about how google might downgrade your site if you use them. I just cannot see that being the case though, shirley you could set up some other site on a link farm and bugger them over.

I'm OK with throwing $100 at it for a few months and seeing the reply. Also the site states this which goes against everything I have read on SEO.

"Don’t the links need to be related to my keywords or niche?
          Not at all. What you are talking about is Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI), and the search engines just do not have the ability to tell if a site is related to the link’s keywords. Google does not know the difference between a “cold” that makes you sick, the freezing temperatures that make you “cold”, and a “cold” icy stare you get from your wife when you forget her birthday. “Links must come from related sites to have any SEO impact” is a complete myth."

Comment

Link schemes - Webmaster Tools Help

Are All SEO Marketing Experts Completely Insane?
            Last edited by NickFitz; 1 September 2010, 15:55.

Comment

I personally do not believe google on what they have written on that page.

If that was the case there would be a market for placing competitors sites on link farms and I do not see much of that.

Comment

I also read something in an SEO book last year that google can hardly bugger you over for buying a set of links when it sells links itself.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I also read something in an SEO book last year that google can hardly bugger you over for buying a set of links when it sells links itself.
                  they can do what they want, it's their search engine.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    they can do what they want, it's their search engine.
                    That's funny, I think microsoft said pretty much the same thing when then gave their browser away for free. Doughball.

Comment

Working...
                    X