• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beginning Java

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning Java

The last code I wrote was around 15 years ago, and as a coding retournee I am looking for a good introductory book on Java programming - so thought I'd throw the question open.

There are the two "Java for Dummies" books, plus the Sams "Java in 24 hours" that I thought might be a good platform to move on from, but I have read some negative comments on Amazon that they are a bit "too" fluffy.

Does anyone have any suggestions, and I repeat - I'm a complete Java beginner.

Thanks.
    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

I'd quite like to know that too.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The Java™ Tutorials

Also available in book form I believe.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If you coded in C or C++ before instead of wasting money on those books you may as well read the Oracle (Sun) Java tutorials.

There are also other good programming resources on the web - google is your friend.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I was going to ask this question a couple of months ago but I was too embarrassed.

There was some stuff I was looking at that was written in Java. I've not touched Java since coming back to the UK a couple of years ago. I came to the conclusion that it was the last thing I should get involved with and that I should stick to C#. The Java stuff I'll give to the 'help' when I get around to getting some.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            If you coded in C or C++ before instead of wasting money on those books you may as well read the Oracle (Sun) Java tutorials.

There are also other good programming resources on the web - google is your friend.
            Depends on the person. It's a different experience reading online tutorials Vs a real book - partly due to content and partly just the 'feel'.

The Java tutorials are good though. I'd suggest you might get a free trial of Safari and try a few books.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              The Java™ Tutorials

Also available in book form I believe.
              Thanks for this. It could be just what I am after.

Have got to the section "What is an object?" and I'm reckoning already that I'll be good at this Java lark as I'm supremely confident that the answer is "well... it's like a 'fing, innit."

Cheers.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Head First Java is worth a look. Not everybody gets along with the style of the Head First books, but it is effective if you get into it.

Comment

"Objects First with Java" is great for beginners.

I'd also recommend the OU Java courses - I helped a friend out with some of his coursework last year. Seemed like the courses had a good structure.

Comment

Working...
                  X