• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staff resourcing in Access

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you tell me this is public sector, I am actually going to cry.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      Cheers I got that far - but thanks for pitching in. I can link the resources to the projects and show them and show the utilisation for each resource on a given month (they only want monthly - so I'm not offering more)

It's more about the presentation and the form design. How do I present a timeline with the facility to enter items into it. I can't think of a nice way of doing it - or even a horrible one!
      There's a PM template in Access. Just create new one. Jobs a good 'un and you can go to the pub for the rest of the week.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        This will probably be pretty basic to most, but I'm struggling with this.

I have been asked to put together a database (access) to track the projects here. One of the things they want to do is to be able to specify resources and then assign them to the various projects.

I'm struggling the think of a way to struture and present this. There will be a %age utilisation by person per month.

Any ideas? Has anybody done anything like this in the past? I did ask why they wouldn't use Project but they were not interested.
        Done something very similar. think many-to-many...you'll need a table for projects, people, and people_projects. Well at the basic level anyway.

If you get stuck, I'm not doing anything at the moment.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

And write down their requirements in a structured format, prioritise that into Must have, Should have, Won't have (due to them being unfeasible/too expensive/impossible in this universe). And get them to sign them off!

Else it will be your fault when it all goes wrong...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

off the shelf

Scheduling Software for Employees, Customers, Rooms and Equipment

Small company who are very responsive.

dirt cheap with a decentish web interface.

No financial benefit in it for me just a satisfied customer.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X