• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Staff resourcing in Access"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    off the shelf

Scheduling Software for Employees, Customers, Rooms and Equipment

Small company who are very responsive.

dirt cheap with a decentish web interface.

No financial benefit in it for me just a satisfied customer.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And write down their requirements in a structured format, prioritise that into Must have, Should have, Won't have (due to them being unfeasible/too expensive/impossible in this universe). And get them to sign them off!

Else it will be your fault when it all goes wrong...

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    This will probably be pretty basic to most, but I'm struggling with this.

I have been asked to put together a database (access) to track the projects here. One of the things they want to do is to be able to specify resources and then assign them to the various projects.

I'm struggling the think of a way to struture and present this. There will be a %age utilisation by person per month.

Any ideas? Has anybody done anything like this in the past? I did ask why they wouldn't use Project but they were not interested.
    Done something very similar. think many-to-many...you'll need a table for projects, people, and people_projects. Well at the basic level anyway.

If you get stuck, I'm not doing anything at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Cheers I got that far - but thanks for pitching in. I can link the resources to the projects and show them and show the utilisation for each resource on a given month (they only want monthly - so I'm not offering more)

It's more about the presentation and the form design. How do I present a timeline with the facility to enter items into it. I can't think of a nice way of doing it - or even a horrible one!
    There's a PM template in Access. Just create new one. Jobs a good 'un and you can go to the pub for the rest of the week.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    If you tell me this is public sector, I am actually going to cry.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Already told them about Project but they were having none of it - even though I've done a bit of VBA in project. But no, they want to utilise my half arsed programming skills to build project in Access!!!

I figured I could set up a table and write into it the year and month from defined start to a defined end date and then query that against the projects/people. it's all tulip and it's got big disaster written all over it.
    Tell them it can be developer but Access is not the right tool. You can build a .Net/Web/etc front-end on the DB if they want to pay for it.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Does Access not have a Project template you can use. It's not on this machine so I cant look, but you can normally use the wizard for a jump start for databases when you create a new one.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Already told them about Project but they were having none of it - even though I've done a bit of VBA in project. But no, they want to utilise my half arsed programming skills to build project in Access!!!

I figured I could set up a table and write into it the year and month from defined start to a defined end date and then query that against the projects/people. it's all tulip and it's got big disaster written all over it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Agreed, this is all looking to go wrong fast.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    How do I present a timeline with the facility to enter items into it
    not with Access you don't. You'd have to write that in something else, and back it onto Access. I think you need to meet with them and find out exactly what they think Access is, and why they should use it. If they aren't willing to use any dedicated project planning software, they are going to have to seriously compromise on bells and whistles like that. You've got a case of "We need a car that goes on canals instead of roads. It can't be a boat".

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Ahh issue with timeline not individual allocation, that basically means reports

Have a look at the Calendar Reports sample here

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

I have been asked to put together a database (access) to track the projects here. One of the things they want to do is to be able to specify resources and then assign them to the various projects.

I'm struggling the think of a way to struture and present this. There will be a %age utilisation by person per month.

Any ideas? Has anybody done anything like this in the past? I did ask why they wouldn't use Project but they were not interested.
    Sounds like basic lack of understanding from management. This is exactly the sort of thing Project is supposed to do.

Tell them it will cost X and take Y time to do it in Access and that it would cost A and take B in Project.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Cheers I got that far - but thanks for pitching in. I can link the resources to the projects and show them and show the utilisation for each resource on a given month (they only want monthly - so I'm not offering more)

It's more about the presentation and the form design. How do I present a timeline with the facility to enter items into it. I can't think of a nice way of doing it - or even a horrible one!

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied

Pretty simple, in simplified layman's terms
    Projects table
    Resources table
    Intermediate table linking projects to resources

Present as linked subtable/form

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    started a topic Staff resourcing in Access

Staff resourcing in Access

Working...
X