• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ADSL Wireless Router recommendations.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Seriously, I've had all these issues. I've tried the Drayteks, Netgears etc... None worked reliably, the Draytek not at all. You owe it to yourself to get one of these, for £25 you have very little to lose. It hangs onto a bad BT line like glue.
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but, it reflects a lot of issues I am having and I think that trying one of these modems is something I should do!

However, I am a bit hazy on networking and hope someone can help me out.

If I get one of these Thomson units then this will enable me to get an ADSL signal and connect a PC via ethernet cable.

I also need wi-fi capability and to attach a Homeplug. Would I be able to connect the Thomson to an existing router/modem I have (Netgear DG834) and then use the wi-fi and extra ports on the Netgear to do what I need?

Will the ADSL signal be passed on to the Netgear so that it can distribute to other PC's?

Thanks!

Comment

I would recommend two routers: Linksys (Cisco) and THomson.

However, replacing your old router with the new one is not enough.

First you have to understand the set of protocols involved.

At Layer 1, you have any of the DSL flavours (ADSL1, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL2), commonly ADSL2+

At Layer 2, you have ATM/RFC1483.

And on top of that, you have PPP (either PPPoverATM or PPPoverEthernet), which is a protocol that needs credentials (usually supplied by your ISP).

So, in short, you must configure your new router with:

-WAN mode, can be PPPoA or PPPoE usually
      -VC/VP, something like 8/48
      -PPP credentials, username and password

If you don't configure that, your DSL will sync, but no traffic will pass. Namely, no Internet.

Now, you can use your ISP router as PPP termination device and attach a new router to one of the Ethernet ports.

The new router must be configured in WAN mode = bridged. And here you can also setup wireless.

Something like this:

ISP ---------DSL-----------ROUTER1----------ROUTER2-----------PC

Comment

Originally posted by markinbrussels View Post

At Layer 1, you have any of the DSL flavours (ADSL1, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL2), commonly ADSL2+

And on top of that, you have PPP (either PPPoverATM or PPPoverEthernet), which is a protocol that needs credentials (usually supplied by your ISP).

If you don't configure that, your DSL will sync, but no traffic will pass. Namely, no Internet.

Now, you can use your ISP router as PPP termination device and attach a new router to one of the Ethernet ports.

The new router must be configured in WAN mode = bridged. And here you can also setup wireless.

Something like this:

Many thanks for info - most useful!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryMan View Post
          Sorry to hijack this thread, but, it reflects a lot of issues I am having and I think that trying one of these modems is something I should do!

However, I am a bit hazy on networking and hope someone can help me out.

If I get one of these Thomson units then this will enable me to get an ADSL signal and connect a PC via ethernet cable.

I also need wi-fi capability and to attach a Homeplug. Would I be able to connect the Thomson to an existing router/modem I have (Netgear DG834) and then use the wi-fi and extra ports on the Netgear to do what I need?

Will the ADSL signal be passed on to the Netgear so that it can distribute to other PC's?

Thanks!
          I agree it IS confusing. The Thomson I use is an ADSL MODEM not a modem/router. I have plugged a wireless device from Belkin into the single LAN port on the back of the Thomson modem. The Belkin device gives me 4x LAN ports and WiFi. The Belkin device does not have a modem built into it. Hope that helps.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            I agree it IS confusing. The Thomson I use is an ADSL MODEM not a modem/router. I have plugged a wireless device from Belkin into the single LAN port on the back of the Thomson modem. The Belkin device gives me 4x LAN ports and WiFi. The Belkin device does not have a modem built into it. Hope that helps.
            Yes, thanks!

I have taken plunge and ordered a Thomson 546 and a Belkin router - anything HAS to be better than what my Netgear is doing to me right now!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markinbrussels View Post

Something like this:

TBH, it seems for every recommendation for a particular router \ modem, there is another slagging it off! Makes selecting a new one very difficult.

I've currently got a Netgear DG834N. I cant say its tulipe but I cant say its good. All I can say is its very frustrating.

So, a nice new shiny Linksys WAG160 v2 sits in its box ready to be installed at the weekend. Then I think I'll smash the DG834N to ******* pieces!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryMan View Post
                Yes, thanks!

I have taken plunge and ordered a Thomson 546 and a Belkin router - anything HAS to be better than what my Netgear is doing to me right now!!!!!!!
                Good luck. I found Netgears to be next to useless on poor lines. Connection would drop every few minutes. others swear by them though! Same with Draytek, mine simply wouldn't synchronise. Draytek support said- "Oh, they all do that on poor lines". WTF!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  TBH, it seems for every recommendation for a particular router \ modem, there is another slagging it off! Makes selecting a new one very difficult.

I've currently got a Netgear DG834N. I cant say its tulipe but I cant say its good. All I can say is its very frustrating.

So, a nice new shiny Linksys WAG160 v2 sits in its box ready to be installed at the weekend. Then I think I'll smash the DG834N to ******* pieces!
                  I agree, it is difficult. You need to buy or borrow one and try it, that's the only way. My DG834N was rubbish though. I tried two other Netgears too. All were rubbish on my bad line.

Comment

Netgear DGN3500

Ive been using the DG834N for last 4 years and its been excellent with no issues.

Ive now decided to go for wireless n since my dell Latitude has an intel 5300 wireless n card, so hopefully amazon will deliver the Netgear DGN3500 today/tomorrow

can anyone with Netgear DGN3500 coment on its stability.

cheers

css_jay99

Comment

Working...
                    X