• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ADSL Wireless Router recommendations.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADSL Wireless Router recommendations.

Im on the look out for a new wireless ADSL BT line compatible (not cable) router. Please dont suggest I go wired, its not an option.

My current router is a Netgear DG834N. Despite Netgear being pretty tulipe, it has given sterling service for the last 4 years or so. But, Im starting to have issues with the old tinerweb and the isp (who've gone tulipe too!) said 'it's your equipment \ router.'

Yeah well they would say that wouldnt they (and Im in the middle of migrating away from them so **** off!)?

Anyways, I did some research(!) and it seems for every good review of a router, there's a poor one. So I decided to stick with Netgear (I know!). I bought a DG3300 from Ebuyer for 83quid delivered. As you'd expect, it is new, still in the cellophane wrapping etc.

Fixed it up, switched on and........................nothing! Power light was flashing red \ green. Look through the instructions and troubleshoot. Do as it says and still the power light flashes red \ green.

So stuff that, logs onto Ebuyer and rejects the item (did you know Ebuyer are in breach of the Distance Selling Regs? Yes they are!). Gets an RMA number and they agree to courier collect.

I then found a review on Ebuyer that said the red \ green flashing power light can be caused by the router having no firmware on it. At all!

Decided I've had enough of Netgear and want a decent wireless N router. Most of these have 4 ports for a lan cable so that's ok. I also understand most of the equipment in BT exchanges run broadcom chips so its best if the router also has a broadcom chipset in it.

Now I dont want to pay over 100 quid for a new router so what are people's recommendations, please?

Must be

wireless N
    BT line compatible (not cable ie Virgin)
    dual band (2.4 and 5Ghz)
    not more than 100 quid
    broadcom chipset
    reliable
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Im on the look out for a new wireless ADSL BT line compatible (not cable) router. Please dont suggest I go wired, its not an option.

My current router is a Netgear DG834N. Despite Netgear being pretty tulipe, it has given sterling service for the last 4 years or so. But, Im starting to have issues with the old tinerweb and the isp (who've gone tulipe too!) said 'it's your equipment \ router.'

Yeah well they would say that wouldnt they (and Im in the middle of migrating away from them so **** off!)?

Anyways, I did some research(!) and it seems for every good review of a router, there's a poor one. So I decided to stick with Netgear (I know!). I bought a DG3300 from Ebuyer for 83quid delivered. As you'd expect, it is new, still in the cellophane wrapping etc.

Fixed it up, switched on and........................nothing! Power light was flashing red \ green. Look through the instructions and troubleshoot. Do as it says and still the power light flashes red \ green.

So stuff that, logs onto Ebuyer and rejects the item (did you know Ebuyer are in breach of the Distance Selling Regs? Yes they are!). Gets an RMA number and they agree to courier collect.

I then found a review on Ebuyer that said the red \ green flashing power light can be caused by the router having no firmware on it. At all!

Decided I've had enough of Netgear and want a decent wireless N router. Most of these have 4 ports for a lan cable so that's ok. I also understand most of the equipment in BT exchanges run broadcom chips so its best if the router also has a broadcom chipset in it.

Now I dont want to pay over 100 quid for a new router so what are people's recommendations, please?

Must be

wireless N
    BT line compatible (not cable ie Virgin)
    dual band (2.4 and 5Ghz)
    not more than 100 quid
    broadcom chipset
    reliable
    Wow!!!
    You know bollox like "chipset" in the boxes......
    you seem pretty detailed in your knowledge/research....
    but you can't make up your mind what to buy....

That is f'kin amazing.... Just get another one like the one you rejected/sent back....

Comment

I moved from Netgear to DrayTek Vigor 2710n

Comment

Another vote for Draytek!

Comment

Stop being a cheapskate?

Why don't you wait until you've moved to your new ISP and see how you fare. If you are on a budget you can get a new modem for £30 or so and connect it to your existing router.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
            Wow!!!
            You know bollox like "chipset" in the boxes......
            you seem pretty detailed in your knowledge/research....
            but you can't make up your mind what to buy....

That is f'kin amazing.... Just get another one like the one you rejected/sent back....

I can tell being a complete and utter tit comes naturally to you, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
              Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Another vote for Draytek!
              OK, I take it these have given good service with no reall problems?

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Stop being a cheapskate?

Why don't you wait until you've moved to your new ISP and see how you fare. If you are on a budget you can get a new modem for £30 or so and connect it to your existing router.
              Think you may have misunderstood. I dont think paying around 100 quid is being a cheapskate and im happy to pay around that amount. I dont need VOIP \ skype which seems to push a router north of 120.

I could wait until I migrate but the current ISP seems to delight in issuing invalid MAC's so migration is being delayed. Plus, I'd like to know if my current router is causing some problems or is, as I suspect, mainly the current ISP's tulipe service.

I dont want a budget router in the 30 quid bracket either. I think they probably will be more than a bit tulipe.

Comment

I dont want a budget router in the 30 quid bracket either. I think they probably will be more than a bit tulipe.
                What you call a "router" is actually a combined ADSL modem, router, switch & wireless access point. What I suggested was that you try a different modem with your existing router. This will cost perhaps £30.

What are these problems that you are having? Have you considered asking your ISP what models they recommend?
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Modems/Routers that do not work on my rubbish BT ADSL line varous flavours of are Netgear, Draytek and BT's own make.

Do not buy a Draytek if you have a long loop length with poor S/N ratio. Mine would not synchronise, at all. I called Draytek and they said "Yeah, they do that, send it back." They gave me a returns number straight away, no questions.

Amazingly, the best device I have found is a cheap and (not so) nasty Thomson modem that hangs onto the poor ADSL connection for grim death. Yes, I was very, very sceptical too, VISPA (my ISP) tech support told me to get one, but it just works. I have it hooked to a Belkin wireless router for the home network. This combo has never failed to work and the performance of the £28 Thomson modem is simply staggeringly good where all else has failed. Buy one and try it.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
                    In what way was it better?

My Netgear DG834G is still going strong, though obviously it's only G and not N. I've heard it's also one of the best at hanging on to a poor quality line.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X