• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Someone tell me what laptop to get please!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone tell me what laptop to get please!

My wife is hassling me to sort her out a new laptop for work. So I'm looking for recommendations.

Budget is around £650.
    Main use: Sage, email, MS office
    Screen: 15.4"+

Looked at some usual suspects and the following seem to fit:

Lenovo SL510
    Dell Latitude E5500 (but would need to upgrade memory to 4gb)

Also had a look at a Samsung P560, but not sure it's better than either of the above.

Opinions welcome!

If I was in the market for a PC I'd go for the Lenovo, they're good work horses.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yep, Lenovo looks to be the front runner at the moment. Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy? Laptopsdirect looks to be a better deal than the lenovo shop.

Comment

I have a Samsung that I've been very impressed with for my co last 12 months or so. Client co has me using a Lenovo for connecting to their corporate systems, very impressed with it actually. Samsung looks a lot prettier, Lenovo has a better keyboard IMO.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          I have a Samsung that I've been very impressed with for my co last 12 months or so. Client co has me using a Lenovo for connecting to their corporate systems, very impressed with it actually. Samsung looks a lot prettier, Lenovo has a better keyboard IMO.
          What model is the Samsung?

Comment

I bought a Samsung Q320 with this spec in October.

One criticism, which doesn't affect me too much as I use an external display, is the screen quality and viewing angle is not very good.

Overall, I am very happy with it as it has a very good build quality and is a decent spec for the price I paid.

A couple of reviews, which sum it up well, for you: PC Pro & PC Advisor.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
              What model is the Samsung?
              R560. It seems they are dearer now than they were when I bought mine about a year ago. Just one bit of advice, if you're going to shop around, I found that the "R560" and probably all the Samsung lappys come in a variety of slightly differeing specs. You need to bear this in mind when comparing prices.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                R560.
                Found an R580, that looks a reasonable spec and is slightly cheaper than the lenovo, but may still be leaning towards the latter.

Comment

if you want a samsung and also happen to need a mobile broad connection then check out Three, they are offering mobile BB + a half decent samsung laptop on a 24 month contract.
                  Looking at the figures it seems that buying the laptop that way works out cheaper than amazon

Amazon £501:
                  Samsung R530 15.6-inch Notebook: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Three Deal
                  http://threestore.three.co.uk/laptop...?tariffid=1817
                  Normal 15GB BB deal over 24 months is £15 per month
                  Laptop deal is £35
                  Difference is £20
                  £20 * 24 = £480
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

I just bought a HP TM2-1010ea and I'm very happy.

tm2-1010ea - Google Product Search

Now I just need to buy the missus one too (she kind of fell in love with it when I took it out of the box).....

Comment

Working...
                    X