• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Someone tell me what laptop to get please!"

Collapse

• Spoiler
    replied
    Well, after lots of staring at web pages, I decided to go with Samsung & gave her two choices: R580 or R730.

By the next day, she'd decided to go for . . .

the Lenovo SL510!

What can you do! Anyway, not a bad choice in the end. Thanks for the opinions.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    I'm an Apple fanboi by now, I think, so if there isn't a software that requires Windows I would suggest going over budget a litle and getting the latest MacBook that just came out yesterday, plenty power and 10hrs of battery life, good enough for almost anyone.

Will save you a lot of headaches doing tech support in-house

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Cant go wrong with Samsung. I've got a big Samsung telly, Samsung R700 laptop and two whacking great widescreen Samsung monitors. All of them are top quality kit and never had a problem with any of them.
    I will second that. Also, after sales support is excellent. I have some really old Samsung kit that needed tech-support. That supported it free and the support was from the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Okay, so I think I've narrowed it down to 2:

Samsung R580

Lenovo SL510

Both are reasonably similar spec; Samsung is cheaper. I'll present my findings to the buyer and let her decide! Thanks.
    Cant go wrong with Samsung. I've got a big Samsung telly, Samsung R700 laptop and two whacking great widescreen Samsung monitors. All of them are top quality kit and never had a problem with any of them.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Okay, so I think I've narrowed it down to 2:

Samsung R580

Lenovo SL510

Both are reasonably similar spec; Samsung is cheaper. I'll present my findings to the buyer and let her decide! Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I just bought a HP TM2-1010ea and I'm very happy.

tm2-1010ea - Google Product Search

Now I just need to buy the missus one too (she kind of fell in love with it when I took it out of the box).....

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    if you want a samsung and also happen to need a mobile broad connection then check out Three, they are offering mobile BB + a half decent samsung laptop on a 24 month contract.
    Looking at the figures it seems that buying the laptop that way works out cheaper than amazon

Amazon £501:
    Samsung R530 15.6-inch Notebook: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Three Deal
    http://threestore.three.co.uk/laptop...?tariffid=1817
    Normal 15GB BB deal over 24 months is £15 per month
    Laptop deal is £35
    Difference is £20
    £20 * 24 = £480

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    R560.
    Found an R580, that looks a reasonable spec and is slightly cheaper than the lenovo, but may still be leaning towards the latter.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    What model is the Samsung?
    R560. It seems they are dearer now than they were when I bought mine about a year ago. Just one bit of advice, if you're going to shop around, I found that the "R560" and probably all the Samsung lappys come in a variety of slightly differeing specs. You need to bear this in mind when comparing prices.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I bought a Samsung Q320 with this spec in October.

One criticism, which doesn't affect me too much as I use an external display, is the screen quality and viewing angle is not very good.

Overall, I am very happy with it as it has a very good build quality and is a decent spec for the price I paid.

A couple of reviews, which sum it up well, for you: PC Pro & PC Advisor.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I have a Samsung that I've been very impressed with for my co last 12 months or so. Client co has me using a Lenovo for connecting to their corporate systems, very impressed with it actually. Samsung looks a lot prettier, Lenovo has a better keyboard IMO.
    What model is the Samsung?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I have a Samsung that I've been very impressed with for my co last 12 months or so. Client co has me using a Lenovo for connecting to their corporate systems, very impressed with it actually. Samsung looks a lot prettier, Lenovo has a better keyboard IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Yep, Lenovo looks to be the front runner at the moment. Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy? Laptopsdirect looks to be a better deal than the lenovo shop.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    If I was in the market for a PC I'd go for the Lenovo, they're good work horses.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    started a topic Someone tell me what laptop to get please!

Someone tell me what laptop to get please!

My wife is hassling me to sort her out a new laptop for work. So I'm looking for recommendations.

Budget is around £650.
    Main use: Sage, email, MS office
    Screen: 15.4"+

Looked at some usual suspects and the following seem to fit:

Lenovo SL510
    Dell Latitude E5500 (but would need to upgrade memory to 4gb)

Also had a look at a Samsung P560, but not sure it's better than either of the above.

Opinions welcome!

Working...
X