• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UNIX Refresher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    What do you want to do with the OS?

Start stop processes?

Change file attributes?

Create command files?

Write some cmd utilities/full blown applications?
    AFAIK:
    - Read & analyse code to be rewritten, re-compiled on Windows
    - edit test data & run tests to verify programs are executing as expected (documentation of existing systems is poor)
    - export code & data

I am trying to get more infor from the client but the hiring manager is on holiday for a week - why does that happen so often?

Comment

Originally posted by xux42 View Post
      AFAIK:
      - Read & analyse code to be rewritten, re-compiled on Windows
      - edit test data & run tests to verify programs are executing as expected (documentation of existing systems is poor)
      - export code & data

I am trying to get more infor from the client but the hiring manager is on holiday for a week - why does that happen so often?
      You've blagged it, haven't you?

I'll sell you a copy of my "Porting Linux Applications to Windows in 9999 easy steps..."

If it's an X-Windows type app it might be better recompiling under Cygwin.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        You've blagged it, haven't you?
        Er, I don't know if I have TBH - my PL/1, COBOL etc. on Z/os, Server 2003/8 & XP/Vista knowledge is good and I'm a very experienced in app. devt. & platform migrations.
        Unix is well rusty, Agent knows the truth, I can't force him to tell the Client...

Did I just bite?

Comment

Quick update - installed Virtualbox - what a fabulous piece of freeware! Powerful yet straightforward to install & configure.
          Started installing CentOS 5.4, but didn't quite get the disk configs right (/home too small for CentOS install & no swap disk) so retrying tonight. Couldn't find a DVD iso so had to burn 6 CDs which was a bit of a pain.

All really interesting stuff and setting it up feels like useful experience - virtualisation concepts etc.

Comment

Make sure you turn on the Virtualisation stuff in your BIOS (depending on the hardware) and you should see a bit of a hike in performance.

Looks like the DVD is only available via a torrent.

Tom
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Quick update - installed Virtualbox - what a fabulous piece of freeware! Powerful yet straightforward to install & configure.
              Started installing CentOS 5.4, but didn't quite get the disk configs right (/home too small for CentOS install & no swap disk) so retrying tonight. Couldn't find a DVD iso so had to burn 6 CDs which was a bit of a pain.

All really interesting stuff and setting it up feels like useful experience - virtualisation concepts etc.
              You can install via .ISO

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Don't forget to learn vi, the only true gauge of Unix skills!

:wq!
                no no no!

Shift + ZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                  no no no!

Shift + ZZ

If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Couldn't find a DVD iso so had to burn 6 CDs which was a bit of a pain.
                    You can find the DVD .iso here;

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/centos/5.4/isos/i386/

or here;

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/centos/5.4/isos/x86_64/
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post

1. CentOS installed & running - get quite a lot out of the box - office apps, browser etc. Far more graphical tools e.g file explorer & perf. monitor than the last time I touched Unix in 2000.
                      Runs smooth, but I see CPU usage shoots up. Fortunately my trusty Athlon 6000+ x2 takes it all in its stride.
                      Might up from 2GB RAM to 3 or 4 though.

2. Anyone care to translate the :wq!, shift + ZZ gibberish on this thread?
                      IMHO that kind of obscurity is rarely a good thing. I've always tried to de-mystify IT to end users & managers where possible - that way they believe me when I say something is going to be difficult & time consuming because I don't "always say that".
                      But then again I'm "Not worth listening to" apparently.

Comment

Working...
                      X