• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: UNIX Refresher

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UNIX Refresher"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by xux42 View Post
    vi being - the command 'visual' that switches the 'extended' line editor to visual mode
    global / regular expression / print looks jolly useful too - its hardly untuitive that this is what 'grep' stands for though....

The sub-culture of brevity in the Unix community is going to slow the learning process down a little methinks.

Saves typing at the command line, but don't these minimalist abbreviations make Unix scripts a bit hard for non-Unix bods to read?
    The Unix bod has to imagine himself in a scenario with a knackered system which he has to boot in single user or from cd and the only tools available are the standard Unix ones, with no GUI. The ability to edit files in that mode is core.

I sued to hate vi, but now I embrace it, it works exactly the same on Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and Irix, tho linux seems to add odd bits to it to 'help'....

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    You really have blagged this - Haven't you?
    Have you only had gigs where you had sound commercial experience in all aspects?
    This is not a Unix contract. Unix is the source system - just need to know enough to get the apps off & decomm. the unix platform from what I have been told so far.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    vi being - the command 'visual' that switches the 'extended' line editor to visual mode
    global / regular expression / print looks jolly useful too
    You wanted tutorials? These vim ones are a bit much for a beginner, but you can get the idea.

vimcasts.org
    Last edited by Sysman; 16 April 2010, 13:19.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    don't these minimalist abbreviations make Unix scripts the elite domain of the select few ?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    global / regular expression / print looks jolly useful too - its hardly untuitive that this is what 'grep' stands for though....

The sub-culture of brevity in the Unix community is going to slow the learning process down a little methinks.

Saves typing at the command line, but don't these minimalist abbreviations make Unix scripts a bit hard for non-Unix bods to read?
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You've blagged it, haven't you?
    You really have blagged this - Haven't you?

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    It's different ways to save and quit in vi.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    2. Anyone care to translate the :wq!, shift + ZZ gibberish on this thread?
    IMHO that kind of obscurity is rarely a good thing. I've always tried to de-mystify IT to end users & managers where possible - that way they believe me when I say something is going to be difficult & time consuming because I don't "always say that".
    But then again I'm "Not worth listening to" apparently.
    It's different ways to save and quit in vi.

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post

:wq!
    1. CentOS installed & running - get quite a lot out of the box - office apps, browser etc. Far more graphical tools e.g file explorer & perf. monitor than the last time I touched Unix in 2000.
    Runs smooth, but I see CPU usage shoots up. Fortunately my trusty Athlon 6000+ x2 takes it all in its stride.
    Might up from 2GB RAM to 3 or 4 though.

2. Anyone care to translate the :wq!, shift + ZZ gibberish on this thread?
    IMHO that kind of obscurity is rarely a good thing. I've always tried to de-mystify IT to end users & managers where possible - that way they believe me when I say something is going to be difficult & time consuming because I don't "always say that".
    But then again I'm "Not worth listening to" apparently.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Couldn't find a DVD iso so had to burn 6 CDs which was a bit of a pain.
    You can find the DVD .iso here;

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/centos/5.4/isos/i386/

or here;

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/centos/5.4/isos/x86_64/

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    no no no!

Shift + ZZ

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Don't forget to learn vi, the only true gauge of Unix skills!

no no no!

Shift + ZZ

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Quick update - installed Virtualbox - what a fabulous piece of freeware! Powerful yet straightforward to install & configure.
    Started installing CentOS 5.4, but didn't quite get the disk configs right (/home too small for CentOS install & no swap disk) so retrying tonight. Couldn't find a DVD iso so had to burn 6 CDs which was a bit of a pain.

All really interesting stuff and setting it up feels like useful experience - virtualisation concepts etc.
    You can install via .ISO

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Make sure you turn on the Virtualisation stuff in your BIOS (depending on the hardware) and you should see a bit of a hike in performance.

Looks like the DVD is only available via a torrent.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Quick update - installed Virtualbox - what a fabulous piece of freeware! Powerful yet straightforward to install & configure.
    Started installing CentOS 5.4, but didn't quite get the disk configs right (/home too small for CentOS install & no swap disk) so retrying tonight. Couldn't find a DVD iso so had to burn 6 CDs which was a bit of a pain.

All really interesting stuff and setting it up feels like useful experience - virtualisation concepts etc.

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You've blagged it, haven't you?
    Er, I don't know if I have TBH - my PL/1, COBOL etc. on Z/os, Server 2003/8 & XP/Vista knowledge is good and I'm a very experienced in app. devt. & platform migrations.
    Unix is well rusty, Agent knows the truth, I can't force him to tell the Client...

Did I just bite?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X