• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UNIX Refresher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNIX Refresher

Hi

I'm in with a shout for a role that fits my skills really well apart from Unix. So could anyone please point me in the direction of a Unix system/emulator that I can run on XP SP3 and some free online refresher courses?

The only Unix I have is a little Solaris c1999 and HPUX 11 in 2000.
    Unfortunately I don't yet know the Client's Unix flavour.

Fortunately I don't need to develop on Unix, just work with programs & data on Unix being ported to Windows servers.

Thanks

Cygwin is probably your best bet if you dont have a machine available to drop a Unix varient onto.

If you do have a machine spare Solaris is available as a free download along with any number of flavours of linux
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Get a copy of VirtualBox. You can then install any Intel based distribution.

You'll probably find if it's Linux, you'll be working on RedHat Enterprise. That being the case you should download and install CentOS. It's the 'free' version of RedHat Enterprise.

You can also install Solaris in VMWare. If it's another (non Linux) *IX variant AIX/HPUX etc you're out of luck.

Oh and I'd avoid Cygwin if you're looking for a 'real' UNIX environment.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        seconded

Comment

Get a copy of VirtualBox. You can then install any Intel based distribution.

You'll probably find if it's Linux, you'll be working on RedHat Enterprise. That being the case you should download and install CentOS. It's the 'free' version of RedHat Enterprise.

You can also install Solaris in VMWare. If it's another (non Linux) *IX variant AIX/HPUX etc you're out of luck.

Thanks for the rapid reponses on envt. Any ideas on refresher/intermediate free online training?
          Thanks

Comment

WHS - I'd use VMWare and stick either Solaris on there or Linux. IIRC, Oracle Enterprise Linux is free and based on Red Hat, or go with any of the flavours of ubuntu. Quick and simple to set up and then you can play away.

You could try to find out what version they are on - ask the agent to see. Explain that you know that there are different variants out there, and you want to see whether your existing knowledge of Solaris is good enough to work with their system.

Assuming the message gets to the client, and the agent doesn't garble it, it may even play into your favour, if you are seen to be making sure that you can work their system.
            If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by xux42 View Post
              Thanks for the rapid reponses on envt. Any ideas on refresher/intermediate free online training?
              Thanks
              You can get online training and a degree from these guys...

www.BobsYerManFerTraining.in

Comment

Don't forget to learn vi, the only true gauge of Unix skills!

:wq!

Comment

Originally posted by xux42 View Post
                  Thanks
                  What do you want to do with the OS?

Start stop processes?

Change file attributes?

Create command files?

Write some cmd utilities/full blown applications?

Comment

Unix holy trinity...

awk/nawk

sed

grep

Comment

Working...
                    X