• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tracing file sharers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    What would happen if everyone (i.e. a large number of people) used something like Tor. Then we'd all be proxies... (sorry if it's a dumb question).
    They'd go for the people who's IP's showed up. They will go on the net and look for torrents and other downloads being made available. They'll grab a few files, check they are copyrighted or not and then go after the person who's IP they go them from. Doesnt matter if you were acting as a proxy for someone else, unless you kept logs and hand them over to prove it wasn;t you, you will be assumed to be the guilty party.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ok. Fortunately I live in a country where (at the moment) we have a certain amount of freedom.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Ok. Fortunately I live in a country where (at the moment) we have a certain amount of freedom.
        I'm not sure that a law that's easy to break and difficult to enforce is quite the same thing as freedom. Cconsidered as such, I'm free to commit murder. Which I suppose I am, if I am willing to face to consequences.
        Last edited by doodab; 19 March 2010, 15:13.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

In Switzerland it is legal to download illegal copies. Hosting the copies, or making them is not legal. I'm not particular concerned about protecting hosters or copiers. What I am concerned about is the erosion of our civil liberties caused by the efforts of inept legislators to manage "piracy".

fwiw, I don't download illegal stuff. ( I probably have the only licensed copy of winzip in the world ).
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'd agree the attempts to tackle the issue so far have been heavy handed, but It's not clear to me that civil liberties are being eroded.

On the one hand, file sharers are ignoring and attempting to erode the rights of copyright holders, who in turn are simply defending their existing rights.

On the other hand, people are concerned about an erosion of the right to privacy. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance and all that, and we need to subject any regulations to scrutiny.

Ultimately the legislation being put forward needs to bring the internet in line with other communications mediums (and the real world), and that does mean an end to absolute freedom to do whatever we choose with total anonymity.

Anonymity is not the same thing as privacy, and it's never been a civil right as far as I am aware, but a lot of people don't seem to perceive the difference.
            Last edited by doodab; 20 March 2010, 10:15.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              So, if I swear on oath that I had done factory reset on the router and simply forgotten to switch the security back on, how could that be challenged by probability? Serious question, BTW.
              On the basis that you are lying - and they need to show it is more of a possibility than not. They could show that if you are an IT expert, it would be quite unlikely that you would make such a mistake.

Whether they would be bothered to do this is another matter.

But the important point to remember is the "proof beyond reasonable doubt" applies to criminal cases.

If civil cases, it's not uncommon for the judge to look you in the eye, come to the conclusion you are a lying scroat and find against you.

Comment

Thanks, I'm a dumb engineer not an IT expert and I have teenage kids at home. I'm not in the habit of downloading torrents but I can easily foresee a situation where the kids could reset the router without me knowing. That would be my defence!
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Thanks, I'm a dumb engineer not an IT expert and I have teenage kids at home. I'm not in the habit of downloading torrents but I can easily foresee a situation where the kids could reset the router without me knowing. That would be my defence!
                  It's not a defence.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    They'd go for the people who's IP's showed up. They will go on the net and look for torrents and other downloads being made available. They'll grab a few files, check they are copyrighted or not and then go after the person who's IP they go them from. Doesnt matter if you were acting as a proxy for someone else, unless you kept logs and hand them over to prove it wasn;t you, you will be assumed to be the guilty party.
                    You don't understand how TOR works. It's an 'Onion routing' network. You become one part in a link of relays and you have no idea what is travelling through your part of the chain. Plausible deniability. As long as you can prove that you have not downloaded the item in question (and that's as simple as providing mobile phone records showing you weren't at home or getting any IT professional to compile a report for you).

The worst that could happen is that you somehow breach your ISP's T&C's somehow.

However, at the moment it isn't practical or appreciated by the community to run any form of p2p through TOR. You drag the network to a grinding halt.

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    It's not a defence.

HTH
                    It most certainly is. If a hacker came and breached your network and proceeded to do nasty things, it may make your life hell for a period whilst you proved it was not you, but you certainly will not be liable for any of their actions. That includes running broadband without encryption. You point me to a single statue that dictates you will run WPA2 on your wireless router.
                    Last edited by Incognito; 20 March 2010, 14:40.
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X