• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why does CUK log you out when you lose your connection?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does CUK log you out when you lose your connection?

When I lose my connection to the t'InterWeb, all the various sessions I have open in different tabs maintain their logged-in status. For example, my Google Mail, Chutney Spoon control panel session and Jobserve sessions will all remain logged in.

ContractorUK will tell me I am logged out.

So, when using a 3G broadband dongle inthe car, for example, I have to keep logging in to CUK after every disconnection.

Why is CUK different from other web sites in this respect? How does the CUK web site know? How does my browser know? What triggers the logging out?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

When you log in, do you tick the 'Remember Me' tickbox?

If not, that is probably why.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

If not, that is probably why.
      More likely depends on your browser.

When I used IE, I always stayed logged in. Even when I started a new browsing session.

Now Im using firefox, despite ticking remember me on cuk and all the 'keep me logged in' settings I can find in firefox, I only stay logged into the site so long as a browser session is not closed.

If it has closed, I have to log into cuk although firefox remembers the username \ password combination required.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

FF v3.6 keeps me logged in, no issues at all.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

When you log in, do you tick the 'Remember Me' tickbox? If not, that is probably why.
          I don't, but then I do not select the equivalent functionality on other sites. And "Remember me" logs you in - I want to know why I get logged out in the first place.

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          FF v3.6 keeps me logged in, no issues at all.
          I am running FF v3.5.8 and Chrome and get the same behaviour in both.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            I don't, but then I do not select the equivalent functionality on other sites. And "Remember me" logs you in - I want to know why I get logged out in the first place.
            This must be making life hard to for sockpuppetters amongst us

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              TBH, I don't know why it happens but I also get the same as you at other sites where it keeps me logged in even though I haven't ticked this box.

Comment

I use firefox and ie and never have to log in. I'd guess you've probably set things up so that the cookies are deleted when you quit the browser, or your security settings don't allow cookies.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I'd guess you've probably set things up so that the cookies are deleted when you quit the browser, or your security settings don't allow cookies.
                  I am not quitting the browser (and cookies are retained anyway).

Comment

FWIW, I don't see this behaviour in Safari.

Comment

Working...
                    X