• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Magic, HD2 or iPhone ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic, HD2 or iPhone ?

or keep the Touch Cruise ?

My main use is as an organiser, GPS, MP3, and sometimes tinter-web, email and Camera, and maybe make the odd call. My Touch Cruise does all this already but considering upgrading.

I was also wondering if I could use my phone as a modem and dump my 3G dongle data contract for my laptop.

One issue is GPS, I have Tomtom on WM at the moment, and I'm not sure whether I can get a comparable quality on Android or iPhone.

Also anything that requires me having to use iTunes puts me off - I installed it on my PC and caused me no end of woes, as in every app, even Excel was crashing until I uninstalled it.

It'll be on Vodafone - I have PAYG SIMs for all 4 networks to test coverage and found them to be best for client sites I visit.

so what would you go for and why ?

I'm waiting for either the Nexus One or the HTC Desire to hit the UK - whichever one comes in first is what I'm going for.

Most UK contracts prohibit you from using your mobile as a dongle - some are getting more to that approach though. IIRC, Orange has an add-on to do it for £5 a month, but I'm not sure. HTC specs say that it can be done easily, but your contract may not allow it.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

AFAIK You HAVE to install iTunes to get the iPhone as all the software updates are through iTunes.
      You won't even be able to use the phone untill its been plugged into a pc/mac and connected to iTunes.

If it wasn't for iTunes I'd probably have got one myself.

How desperate are you for a new phone now? The google nexus and Sony Ericsons xperia X10 are both out sometime this year

The HD2 is a gorgeous device though (i'll resist calling it a phone) and the screen is huuuuuuuuuuge
      Last edited by Spacecadet; 5 March 2010, 07:44.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
        Also anything that requires me having to use iTunes puts me off - I installed it on my PC and caused me no end of woes, as in every app, even Excel was crashing until I uninstalled it.
        As has been explained elsewhere, Windows is great - if you can't stop programs crashing randomly because of the software on it, you are obviously an idiot.

(The whole "I need iTunes to work as a phone" is what has put me off getting an iPhone - I'd quite like one, but can't run iTunes so there is no point in getting one)
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm getting the HTC Touch Pro 2 on vodafone business, mainly because my Orange Tytn2 is rather scratched.

I really hate on-screen keyboards and abc123 typing.
          "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            As has been explained elsewhere, Windows is great - if you can't stop programs crashing randomly because of the software on it, you are obviously an idiot.

(The whole "I need iTunes to work as a phone" is what has put me off getting an iPhone - I'd quite like one, but can't run iTunes so there is no point in getting one)
            However I would expect better from a company like Apple. If I need to work around their PC interface then what other problems will I have if I buy the phone. I've had experience of issues from the telco network end as well (I spent many years developing 3G network equipment) - so I'm not convinced by the quality of the product for the price (~£460 for a 8Gb 3G to ~£820 for a 32Gb 3GS off contract).

I guess that I'm answering my own question. I have a htc Touch Cruise and before that a htc Artemis (both Windows Mobile), and they have been great. I'm still not convinced that Android or Apple phones are better.
            Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 5 March 2010, 16:50.

Comment

iPhone.

All the others are just woeful, my mate has the lastest and greatest Samsung HD this and that, it's nice don't get me wrong but the iPhone is just soo slick - this gadjey is clunksville....

GF has an LG Choc - latest one with 3D menus - it's rubbish!

But I can't believe the uncool Septics can produce cool stuff like Apple, I mean, just look at their cars...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                But I can't believe the uncool Septics can produce cool stuff like Apple, I mean, just look at their cars...
                What if Steve Jobs made cars? I'm sure they'd be ultra cool looking

Like this:
                http://chrismaloney.files.wordpress..../apple-car.jpg

Or this?
                http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/image...conceptcar.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                  or keep the Touch Cruise ?

My main use is as an organiser, GPS, MP3, and sometimes tinter-web, email and Camera, and maybe make the odd call. My Touch Cruise does all this already but considering upgrading.

I was also wondering if I could use my phone as a modem and dump my 3G dongle data contract for my laptop.

One issue is GPS, I have Tomtom on WM at the moment, and I'm not sure whether I can get a comparable quality on Android or iPhone.

It'll be on Vodafone - I have PAYG SIMs for all 4 networks to test coverage and found them to be best for client sites I visit.

so what would you go for and why ?
                  I have an LG GW620. May not be the best phone in the world, but it works. Haven't tried any of the commercial Route Navigation phones, but what this phone allows you to do is use it as a modem. The only issues I have with the GW620 is the buttons on the facia are over sensative and it doesn't tilt in the same way as the Tytn II. Apart from that, it is a good little phone.

If you are looking for Exchange connectivity, then natively, the phone doesn't do it... you would need to buy an app that will do that.

The phone is currently based on the Android 1.5, with support coming for 1.6. Don't know when support for Android 2 will be available for the phone.

I don't know if the GW620 is available on Vodafone though.

Best of luck in finding your next phone.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    What if Steve Jobs made cars? I'm sure they'd be ultra cool looking
                    But it'd still be a US made car and therefore not go round corners.

To answer the OP, gotta say iPhone. As much as some people detest the iPhone 'thing', it really is a good bit of kit and the biggest selling point is the App Store. You can get a decent app for literally anything, there's a huge developer base behind it now and this is only going to get bigger with the iPad coming. Can't see any other manufacturer anywhere near matching the quality or quantity of the iPhone app-base anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X