• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Magic, HD2 or iPhone ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Durbs View Post

To answer the OP, gotta say iPhone. As much as some people detest the iPhone 'thing', it really is a good bit of kit and the biggest selling point is the App Store. You can get a decent app for literally anything, there's a huge developer base behind it now and this is only going to get bigger with the iPad coming. Can't see any other manufacturer anywhere near matching the quality or quantity of the iPhone app-base anytime soon.
    Whs. I approached the iPhone thing from the perspective of someone that wanted to hate it. I thought it was a hairdresser gimmick that metrosexuals brandished in starbucks on a Saturday morning.

Had it a month and think it's fantastic with the exception of the woeful battery life.

Comment

Could not deal with the battery life of the iphone, just makes it a non starter.

I want to be able to charge my phone up on a Friday and have it still running on a Monday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        Whs. I approached the iPhone thing from the perspective of someone that wanted to hate it. I thought it was a hairdresser gimmick that metrosexuals brandished in starbucks on a Saturday morning.

Had it a month and think it's fantastic with the exception of the woeful battery life.
        WHS. Love it!
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Hmmm - requirements gathering phase:

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
          Also anything that requires me having to use iTunes puts me off
          Technical delivery phase:

Originally posted by stek View Post
          iPhone.
          To answer the OP, gotta say iPhone.
          Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Whs.
          Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          WHS. Love it!
          Project fail.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I got the N900 Nokia and I love it. Very powerful and fun. Severe lack of applications at the moment though but built in skype and u can msn using webcam to webcam which is cool. Multi tasking yadda yadda...

Great alternative to iPhone if you don't wanna get screwed over by apple
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Project fail.
              Fair enough but whats the beef with iTunes?

The OP says he rules the iPhone out because of iTunes but whats the argument against it?

The "It causes Excel to pack up", "It hogs all my PC", "It is unstable" etc are balls IMO. I've got it running on 2 PC's and a Mac and it does none of those and never has done really.

I use it occasionally when i want to stick an album on the phone or update the OS but asides from that its not like it takes over my ownership of the phone or 'does anything' to the machine. Its just an app that has no more or less flaws than any other apps i've got (in my experience).

<Insert your 'iTunes gave me nob cancer' thread here>

Comment

Fair enough but whats the beef with iTunes?
                Well, for the OP:

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                I installed it on my PC and caused me no end of woes, as in every app, even Excel was crashing until I uninstalled it.
                YMMV and feel that crashing etc. is balls, but clearly that does not apply to all users.

For me - I don't run Windows or Mac OS, so it's out. I had nothing against it when I was using Windows - I used it long after my iPod had been binned - because I liked the way it organised my music for me.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I don't like itunes being on my machine, the services it donwloads are a bit of a hog and I really don't know why quicktime has to start up with the computer when the last quicktime movie I watched was the star wars trailer about 10 years ago.

And as stated iTunes wants to take over your music and as I use a zune they were conflicting.

In the end the girly went out and got a mac and my PCs are itunes free. Less and more for us all.

Comment

Just waiting for the HTC desire, which is out on 25th March (apparently) on vodaphone or sim free 1st April (Amazon, hideously expensive) or 5th April from other retailers ( and a tad cheaper).

Same dates for the Legend, Nexus one still up in the air.

Not sure whether to get legend or desire.....
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

There is an iPhone in the house and I covet it

I have to agree with Minestrone on iTunes though.
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X