• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Magic, HD2 or iPhone ?"

Collapse

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    Good work fella!

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I'll continue hating you till I have mine delivered next week (hopefully).

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I'll continue hating you till I have mine delivered next week (hopefully).

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Lets have those reviews of the desire then! I need to be ordering mine asap - currently 95% convinced it's the way forward.
    Linky.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    I don't know about running it as a WiFi access point, but it tethers as a modem very nicely. Plug in the USB cable and it gives you a choice of 4 options - charge, sync, disk drive, share network.

That's good enough for me, I think.
    I'd be looking to use it alongside an iPad, which doesn't support tethering (as far as I'm aware) so the ability to use the phone as an access point would be very useful.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    I'd be interested to know if you can use it as a WiFi access point out of the box (as you can with the HD2) without having to hack it.
    I don't know about running it as a WiFi access point, but it tethers as a modem very nicely. Plug in the USB cable and it gives you a choice of 4 options - charge, sync, disk drive, share network.

That's good enough for me, I think.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    I'd be interested to know if you can use it as a WiFi access point out of the box (as you can with the HD2) without having to hack it.
    I have no idea to be honest!! I know that typing on a touch screen will take some getting used to, although the predictive text and error correction is pretty good.

It has an amazing desktop it must be said Still working my way round it to be honest. Where is that CUK theme for mobiles???

I keep saying to the Mrs "oh that's nice" every new feature I find.....

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Once I get home, I'll try it out. Anything in particular you are expecting it to do?

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Dopewars is available! I remember playing that years ago on my pc. Sounds like we have a winner!

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Honestly, I don't know. On my current HTC touch, I use google maps & that's about it. But I have heard that anything you wan't to do "There's an app for that" (think that may be the rival smartphone?!).

I'm sure I'll find a top ten apps for android somewhere out there.
    The app I use most (apart from the standard ones) is ThrottleCopter. Helps pass the time nicely. Followed closely by DopeWars.

Serious apps - CompareEverywhere, eBay stuff, Twidroid, Metro Paris.

Not sure what I really want out of the phone - last Christmas I had a snowglobe app that snowed when you shook the phone. But no-one I worked with had a phone that was sensitive to motion so it was a gimmick to show off.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Define "decent apps"
    Honestly, I don't know. On my current HTC touch, I use google maps & that's about it. But I have heard that anything you wan't to do "There's an app for that" (think that may be the rival smartphone?!).

I'm sure I'll find a top ten apps for android somewhere out there.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Also, I don't know what the iPhone does.

I don't use iTunes, and refuse to do so, so an iPhone is of no interest to me.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    None of that twattering stuff is of any use! Can I ring someone on it, messaging, email, decent apps, etc. Basically is it a viable alternative to the iPhone?

Cheers.
    Define "decent apps" I haven't installed much on my G1, and I refuse to pay for anything unless it's going to be in regular use.

Also, I don't listen to music (although I might try it on the new phone) - I have an MP3 player for that. I will be looking at converting some AVIs to MP4 so that I can watch programs on it, though.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Once I get home, I'll try it out. Anything in particular you are expecting it to do? Do you facebook / twitter / chat?
    None of that twattering stuff is of any use! Can I ring someone on it, messaging, email, decent apps, etc. Basically is it a viable alternative to the iPhone?

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    wait for the iphone '4G' , rumoured to be out in May...
    Rumours, rumours! I think if I keep waiting for the 'next' best thing, I'll never get a new phone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X