• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the easiest way to put a video in an HTML page?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    There is a reason why YouTube and a million other websites have chosen Flash to stream the video.
    There's also a reason why YouTube and others are now preparing for the move to HTML5.

Comment

So does YouTube not work on iPhone? I always assumed they had a custom version in the same way that IPlayer works on many devices without full Flash support.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        So does YouTube not work on iPhone? I always assumed they had a custom version in the same way that IPlayer works on many devices without full Flash support.
        Yup, iPhone uses the MP4 version of the vid i think, not Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Yup, there's a YouTube app that comes pre-installed - YT have encoded all their content in H.264, which is also what they serve for their HTML5 <video> element beta.

Comment

Further info about the Youtube HTML migration here.

I've been lurking on this thread as I'm about to produce a video for my website using Camtasia and need to decide the format. (uploading to screencast.com and youtube).
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Further info about the Youtube HTML migration here.

I've been lurking on this thread as I'm about to produce a video for my website using Camtasia and need to decide the format. (uploading to screencast.com and youtube).
              Really! My day just got brighter!!!
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You'll be very disappointed, it's all about the Service Management lifecycle and Business...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  You'll be very disappointed, it's all about the Service Management lifecycle and Business...
                  OMG!! Now you are talking my language baby. Linky!! Do you take Visa??
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    This is the 21st century. People expect streaming embedded video, not a 35 minute download of a video file that is missing the correct codec.

There is a reason why YouTube and a million other websites have chosen Flash to stream the video.

There's your answer.

Sorry ipod, iphone, ipad, ipants users.
                    I am aware of the date.

The OP asked if it was possible to put a file on the server and link to it. I gave a code example. If the file is in the correct format it will in fact stream rather than simply downloading.

Perhaps you should spend less time on youtube and more time on google?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      That way, everybody should be happy. Given that Adobe have never yet managed to produce a version of Flash for OS X that doesn't use loads of CPU and send the fans crazy (as well as crashing on a regular basis)
                      Works fine on Windows. Perhaps OSX is inherently inferior? It has to be something to do with the interface with the OS as the OSX Flash player is obviously 99% the same Intel code that runs on the Windows version. I'm guessing OSX just doesn't have the raster graphics performance that Windows has with DirectX, and that leads to a higher CPU usage in trying to get things on the screen.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X