• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick question chaps.

I've recently upgraded my desktop to 3gb memory, but have just downloaded skype and it's still slowing the desktop down more than it does on my little Asus 1000E (Skype pre-installed when I got it).

Are there any settings I can adjust that will speed up the computer with Skype on in the background?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Hmm thats interesting, just fired both mine up to check and I can't see that I am getting any degredation in peformance on the desktop with skype on to be honest.

I downloaded skype to both with no pre-install so maybe BOTH are running with slight performance degredation where you have a pre-install which is better on the ASUS so your avoiding the standard problems we get?

I guess you could set a restore point on the netbook and install new skype to see but if it aint broke I wouldn't bother.

It's definately skype causing the delay? Is it noticeable when using or do you have some performance software on it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's Skype all right. I've just closed it and the desktop has perked back up again.

I removed Skype when I installed it on the 1gb config and it slowed the machine to a crawl.

Now it's just slowed it to a slight stutter but it is noticeable...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Just a quick question chaps.

I've recently upgraded my desktop to 3gb memory, but have just downloaded skype and it's still slowing the desktop down more than it does on my little Asus 1000E (Skype pre-installed when I got it).

Are there any settings I can adjust that will speed up the computer with Skype on in the background?
        Use a dial-up connection. Skype takes one look at that and decides not to bother.

HTH
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

Do you have Messenger or any other 'chat' related software running in parallel?

I find they run faster when only one is in play.

No techy evidence for this other than observation.

Comment

Ahh, that may be the case - I have Messenger on as well. I'll turn it off...

(This all might be a bit academic since no-one contacts me on either of them, but you never know what 2010 might bring!)

Comment

Thought Skype was for perv's anyway..
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X