• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC memory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC memory

Been pondering getting a faster desktop due to sucky performance of this one with lousy Vista.

However, I wonder if the problem isn't one of insufficient memory. Just deleting a simple shortcut cause disc activity to shoot up to 100% but on the other hand memory usage stays pretty well stuck at 83% to 85% no matter what I do or what programs I run. Almost like it's hit some limit and is raiding the disc cache.

Any way of checking for adequate memory? Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Been pondering getting a faster desktop due to sucky performance of this one with lousy Vista.

However, I wonder if the problem isn't one of insufficient memory. Just deleting a simple shortcut cause disc activity to shoot up to 100% but on the other hand memory usage stays pretty well stuck at 83% to 85% no matter what I do or what programs I run. Almost like it's hit some limit and is raiding the disc cache.

Any way of checking for adequate memory? Cheers.
    How much have you got?

General opinion seems to be that you need at least 2Gb to get decent performance out of it.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I upgraded my Vista laptop from 2GB to 4GB, and I can't say it made any radical performance improvement. However it does tend to use >2GB (2.1GB at the moment with two Visual Studios open), so it must be doing some good.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Upgrade to windows 7.

Vista sucks and not in a good way.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Upgrade to windows 7.

Vista sucks and not in a good way.
          This is true, i've just put Win 7 on my main development machine and my laptop.

The instant performance increase feels like i've stuck a couple of gig of extra memory in them.

Comment

Cheers for replies. It's only 1Gb so might be worth trying some more. Win 7 sounds good so far.

PS No 2 son who is high paid city "expert" specd and ordered it for me. Also he said he couldn't get his mother's PC to show on the network. I sorted that yesterday with a bit of my usual random clicking. He is on for some high quality SNEERING when he is next home.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 5 September 2009, 09:41.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Cheers for replies. It's only 1Gb so might be worth trying some more. Win 7 sounds good so far.

PS No 2 son who is high paid city "expert" specd and ordered it for me. Also he said he couldn't get his mother's PC to show on the network. I sorted that yesterday with a bit of my usual random clicking. He is on for some high quality SNEERING when he is next home.
              My Dad bought a 1GB Vista machine from PC World. I wish he'd asked me first or I'd have told him your really do want 2GB. Then I got a phone call saying his computer was broken, with programs not able to load, which when I went to see I worked out that something had turned off virtual memory. Vista with 1GB and no virtual memory really didn't work at all, to the extent that I couldn't even get task manager.

Goes to show how much it needs the virtual memory even if you have 1GB of RAM.

Older generation and computers eh?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Had the same prob, had to stuff in 4GB for vista (of which not all can be recognised) - working Ok now.

Comment

Working...
                X