• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shyte AV I wouldnt recommend.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    AVAST...it's free and I have had no problems with it...
    same here, installed on various machines without any issues

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      NOD32 - cause one laptop system files to corrupt, had to do a full re install of Vista and all applications on one laptop.
      Get yourself some decent backup software and back everything up now to an external drive.
      If you have to revert back to a clean system then you'll find its a 10-20 minute job (depending on how much you want to include in that clean install)
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I have used ClamWin, free and good
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Get yourself some decent backup software and back everything up now to an external drive.
          If you have to revert back to a clean system then you'll find its a 10-20 minute job (depending on how much you want to include in that clean install)
          Seconded. A decent backup system can pay for itself pretty quickly. Don't think of just the money, it's the time and aggro saved too.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            WHS, although I've been running the beta of Microsoft Security Essentials for a while.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Do you get a choice??

I've got Acronis but I only backup data as the rest of it if full of junk...

I've never tried anything else...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Do you get a choice??

I've got Acronis but I only backup data as the rest of it if full of junk...

I've never tried anything else...
                I use acronis too, after the last time I did full reinstall of everything I backed up the entire system.
                Windows XP + SQL Server + visual Studio 2005 + visual studio 2008 + Office + a few other bits was about 30GB

Now it will restore to that point in about 20 minutes.

I backup the data seperately, although apart from email and some work stuff most of my personal data is now kept on external drives

The whole process is actually quick enough to do during the working day
                If I find any application which I decide needs to be on my base install, I restore the clean system. Install the app then do a full system backup.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Now trying 30 day trial of Avira Premium.

Binned off bitdefender as it truely was shoite. The number of tech updates reporting faults with firewall and config issues is appalling. Cannot do automatic updates, tech support sent me a huge list of 'to do's' including some of their own patches that didnt work!

Told them to forget it as I was going through that process for the other 2 pc's on my network.

Anyway, we'll see how this Avira gets on.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Who needs to install the type of old fashioned anti-virus bloatware from the 1990's era such as Norton etc?
                    ...when it comes ready-bloated with vista, no doubt with their proprietry spyware thrown in for free?

Comment

I used AVAST but because I`ve never had a virus on my personal machine I`ve been tempted to go without, especially as I take frequent backups.

For backups I used Acronis which can backup entire disks, partitions or folders and files etc. Recommended!
                      Last edited by SuperZ; 4 September 2009, 13:37.

Comment

Working...
                      X