• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Shyte AV I wouldnt recommend."

Collapse

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Lithium View Post
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    I`ve been tempted to go without, especially as I take frequent backups.
    Fantastic so when you do get an infected file, you make a back up of it??
    No, I can roll back to a previous backup.
    How do you know it's infected if you have no AV?
    By the time you know you have an infection, the infected files could be the only ones left in your backup set........

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Lithium View Post

I have NOD32 deployed across 8,000 workstations and no problems here.
    No, I can roll back to a previous backup. Only ever had one virus and that was caught through the LAN at the Company I was working at about 8 years ago - the company was the first to get hit by it and because it was a new virus Norton didn`t detect it.
    I don`t download dodgy tulip.

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    I`ve been tempted to go without, especially as I take frequent backups.

I have NOD32 deployed across 8,000 workstations and no problems here.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    I used AVAST but because I`ve never had a virus on my personal machine I`ve been tempted to go without, especially as I take frequent backups.

For backups I used Acronis which can backup entire disks, partitions or folders and files etc. Recommended!
    Last edited by SuperZ; 4 September 2009, 13:37.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Who needs to install the type of old fashioned anti-virus bloatware from the 1990's era such as Norton etc?
    ...when it comes ready-bloated with vista, no doubt with their proprietry spyware thrown in for free?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Now trying 30 day trial of Avira Premium.

Binned off bitdefender as it truely was shoite. The number of tech updates reporting faults with firewall and config issues is appalling. Cannot do automatic updates, tech support sent me a huge list of 'to do's' including some of their own patches that didnt work!

Told them to forget it as I was going through that process for the other 2 pc's on my network.

Anyway, we'll see how this Avira gets on.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Do you get a choice??

I've got Acronis but I only backup data as the rest of it if full of junk...

I've never tried anything else...
    I use acronis too, after the last time I did full reinstall of everything I backed up the entire system.
    Windows XP + SQL Server + visual Studio 2005 + visual studio 2008 + Office + a few other bits was about 30GB

Now it will restore to that point in about 20 minutes.

I backup the data seperately, although apart from email and some work stuff most of my personal data is now kept on external drives

The whole process is actually quick enough to do during the working day
    If I find any application which I decide needs to be on my base install, I restore the clean system. Install the app then do a full system backup.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Get yourself some decent backup software and back everything up now to an external drive.
    If you have to revert back to a clean system then you'll find its a 10-20 minute job (depending on how much you want to include in that clean install)
    Do you get a choice??

I've got Acronis but I only backup data as the rest of it if full of junk...

I've never tried anything else...

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    WHS, although I've been running the beta of Microsoft Security Essentials for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Get yourself some decent backup software and back everything up now to an external drive.
    If you have to revert back to a clean system then you'll find its a 10-20 minute job (depending on how much you want to include in that clean install)
    Seconded. A decent backup system can pay for itself pretty quickly. Don't think of just the money, it's the time and aggro saved too.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    I have used ClamWin, free and good

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    NOD32 - cause one laptop system files to corrupt, had to do a full re install of Vista and all applications on one laptop.

Leave a comment:

• spoons
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    AVAST...it's free and I have had no problems with it...
    same here, installed on various machines without any issues

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    I sometimes think I have more downtime because of anti virus software than if I had no protection at all. At my current client co the AV software scans every single file I open, be it web page, word doc or whatever. Some of these files are quite big and sitting there waiting for 2-3 minutes for them to become responsive after a scan adds up when you are doing it 30 times a day.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I have to say - I've been using NOD32 on my Asus (because of it's small footprint) and had no problem with it. It does cost me a little bit though...

Bit I'm using F-Secure on my desktop and it's excellent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X