• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XP Vs Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Why the fook does it do that? "Are you sure you want to run this program" crap.

I go out and bought a grand laptop, went on the internet and downloaded eclipse, unzipped the package and run the exe every time I start up the thing. Why does it still ask me "Are you sure you want to run this program"?

<mild rant over/>
    Very annoying I agree. I've got a laptop with Vista and having tolerated that prompt for the nth time I found you can go into the Control Panel and turn it (User Access Control?) off. Can't recall where exactly as I've not got my laptop with me. Oh, but then a little warning icon in the tray appears saying its turned off each time I boot up .

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      The first thing I did on my Vista systems was to turn that off, the UAC is a pain.
      Much better to just run everything with full administrator priveleges.

UAC is in Windows 7 too.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Much better to just run everything with full administrator priveleges.
        Which merely proves the point that if you make security too much of a pain in the neck, folks will bypass it.

UAC is in Windows 7 too.
        But have they improved it?
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Which merely proves the point that if you make security too much of a pain in the neck, folks will bypass it.

They have - it is much less invasive.. It only questions you when you run something for the first time (like an installer) or when things like Firefox want to run an update..
          The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
            Yep. Vista = tulip. Doesn't run SAS.
            I'm running SAS 9.1.3 on Vista...
            Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              I believe they have - it certainly seems less intrusive and much quicker on Windows 7. There always seemed to be a lag prior to the UAC prompt on Vista.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinS View Post
                They have - it is much less invasive.. It only questions you when you run something for the first time (like an installer) or when things like Firefox want to run an update..
                You mean like Mac OS X has been doing for a while now? It even tells you which website it was downloaded from when it asks

igmc.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by rabiddog View Post
                  Gonna buy a new laptop tomorrow, it'll come bundled with Vista, I've run XP SP3 for ages. Pros and cons anyone ? (GUI's not important, I'm old fashioned).
                  hold of for windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    You mean like Mac OS X has been doing for a while now? It even tells you which website it was downloaded from when it asks

igmc.
                    You are ScooterScot and I claim my five shiny new iPods
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Vista is rubbish
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X