• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gee thanks Microsoft

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Why they have to decide to conform to standard now I have no idea.
    Joel Spolsky has a great explanation of the subject (which doesn't ultimately come to a conclusion)
    http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/03/17.html

Comment

I get problems even in compatibility mode with IE8 on this site with the reply input box I am typing in now does not even align with the rest of the page!

Not sure how to put an image up - much easier to explain with a screen shot.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

At least the updates would have been fairly easy if not for the serial number check not working since I switched website from PHP4 to PHP5 yesterday to start to fix the Worldpay callback not working properly due to them becoming RBS Worldpay the other week and some bastards hacking my mailer! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

We often have this standards argument here. It would be nice, this took ages to get working in IE and Firefox, basically it is two completely different lots of code.

Often wish that others would follow Microsoft's jscript and not the other way round, many of the things MS do are a lot more sensible. For example, automatically expanding height of an element to accomodate the contained text and having jscript that provides that actual height, providing numeric versions of size/position without having to strip off/add px. And why don't Firefox etc have decent filters?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Often wish that others would follow Microsoft's jscript and not the other way round, many of the things MS do are a lot more sensible.

BURN IM!!!

Sorry but I have to say that the MS JavaScript engine is one thing I really wish they would strip out and throw away. It mind numbingly slow and on complex pages with lots of data pretty much kills the browsing experience.

Slightly OT, but we could really do with an angry mob smiley with pitch forks and flaming torches!!!

Comment

We often have this standards argument here. It would be nice, this took ages to get working in IE and Firefox, basically it is two completely different lots of code.
            Hmm yes. Not quite right on IE8 but fine on FF 3.0.10. Please make your cheque payable to cash.
            Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Probably we are looking at different things. Webpages, as in actually on the internet, not my main concern, rather complex interactives that run in a browser object within .net progs. IE constructs make life much easier for that.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
              X