• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gee thanks Microsoft

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gee thanks Microsoft

Updated to Internet Explorer 8 yesterday and now my educational apps, which use web browser objects to show text descriptions of species, are throwing up script errors.

And I only got a new CD run copied a few days ago! I hate em!!! Anyone else heard of script problems with this version?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I updated the home lappy with it and have had loads of problems.

It does make CUK look more like when logged on with firefox, but Google AdWords won't let you create a new campaign with it.

Also get lots of errors on various places telling me to upgrade from IE6 to IE7.....
    Still Invoicing

Comment

I find the fault was actually mine as I had used screen.Width instead of the correct screen.width but it was fully tested and always worked fine before. Why they have to decide to conform to standard now I have no idea. Bet there will be a few website errors if they have decided to tighten up on all the other sloppy things.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Does it break when in IE7 compatibility mode? If not you can supply a FAQ telling people how to switch on IE7 compatibility mode, and a quick fix for the foreseeable future would be to add the following meta tag:

Code:
        <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />
        My top tip for the future would be code it in Firefox with the use of the wonderful Firebug and then hack it for the various flavours of IE afterwards

Comment

I installed IE8 last week with no issues. I prefer it to IE7.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            And I only got a new CD run copied a few days ago! I hate em!!! Anyone else heard of script problems with this version?
            Did your testing of the Beta and RC versions of IE8 not show up these issues?

Comment

Testing of Beta and RC versions? Sounds a bit serious for a retirement hobby, that.

Fortunately, providing an update is not difficult, just annoying.
              bloggoth

Comment

+1 for IE8 here. At least Microsoft are trying to do the right thing by going down the standards route. Just because their browser has historically been cack, that doesn't mean it has to stay that way despite every man and his dog having developed websites and web apps to cope with the cackness. It is going in the right direction at last.

IE8 release has undoubtedly caused many problems but we'll get over that in fairly short order. Now all that's left is for Microsoft to somehow drop ActiveX support entirely. I'm not sure how they'll go about that one, but whoever originally came up with that idea should be linched.

'Tis fun trying to support web applications on a myriad of browser platforms no?
                Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
                  'Tis fun trying to support web applications on a myriad of browser platforms no?
                  The joys of CSS, most pleasurable part of any project

Contractor at client co recently redid the website and asked me for any pointers or cross browser compatibility because it looked like crap in firefox. I pointed him to a CSS site which listed different browser compatibility levels. He came back a few hours later explaining the way to get the desired look in firefox is to use tables to position all the elements instead

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                    The joys of CSS, most pleasurable part of any project

Contractor at client co recently redid the website and asked me for any pointers or cross browser compatibility because it looked like crap in firefox. I pointed him to a CSS site which listed different browser compatibility levels. He came back a few hours later explaining the way to get the desired look in firefox is to use tables to position all the elements instead
                    Ah the old strategy of developing with and targetting IE and then realising later that not everyone actually uses it and your public facing system is in reality completely pants. Even I know that the most reasonable way to attempt multi browser support is to start with a standards compliant browser for development and testing and then add your IE specific CSS hacks later if necessary. And I'm not a web developer and I am benched! arrggg.
                    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Working...
                    X