• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office professional on a netbook?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office professional on a netbook?

Going to get myself a netbook for traveling light... probably the Samsung N10 or Asus eee thingy.

I'll need to open office files (project, visio and excel mainly) but the geezer at the shop reckoned it would struggle to run them.

I'm no expert, but I can't see why it should be too bad.

Any thoughts?

Is this fella just trying to flog me a grands worth of Sony?

Originally posted by mailric View Post
    Going to get myself a netbook for traveling light... probably the Samsung N10 or Asus eee thingy.

I'll need to open office files (project, visio and excel mainly) but the geezer at the shop reckoned it would struggle to run them.

I'm no expert, but I can't see why it should be too bad.

Any thoughts?

Is this fella just trying to flog me a grands worth of Sony?
    Office is not a heavy-duty application. You would struggle to run Autodesk Maya though.

Comment

Friend of mine has an N10 and just installed Office 2003 - no probs. But ensure you have as much memory as poss installed (2GB?).

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Friend of mine has an N10 and just installed Office 2003 - no probs. But ensure you have as much memory as poss installed (2GB?).
        No, its only 1gb standard. Assume can be updated though if its struggling.

Comment

Read EEE by gum for upgrading memory, it's straight forward enough.

There shouldn't be a problem putting in Office 2003 though.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I used to run Office 2003 on my first gen EEE which only had 512MB memory. It ran fine. Ideally i'd have upgraded to 2GB as its so cheap to do so but shows Office is not the resource hog the guy suggested.

Comment

I have a Samsung NC10, which I upgraded to 2GB RAM when I bought it so do not know about the performance on 1GB.

I have Office Pro + Project + Visio installed (don't use the last two very often) and have no problems. Used it to run presentations at ClientCo without problem.

Fantastic little device - can't recommend it enough, although the mouse pad can be a little annoying at times.
              Beer
              is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That's sealed it then.... off to PC world tonight.

Cheers folks!

Comment

Or you could just sign up for an OU course and then purchase it here using your OU e-mail address:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/dis...k/default.aspx

Much cheaper, completely legit and you get some training as well!!!

Comment

I've got NC10 and it's excellent - just install Office 2003 and you will be fine: XP with 1 GB of RAM makes up for snappy machine.

Comment

Working...
                    X