• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office professional on a netbook?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking of getting one of these.

Will be using it for a bit of dev work, anyone tried this, if so can the Intel Atom handle it.

Mainly a bit of web stuff using MacroMedia and Access/Excel VBA.

Thanks

Comment

I've installed OSX on a Dell Mini 9 with 2GB of RAM. Currently developing iPhone apps on it, and it works fine. I would say anything officey would be easily handled.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
        Will be using it for a bit of dev work, anyone tried this, if so can the Intel Atom handle it.
        It's fast enough for VS 2008 - also office 2003 is fine too (would not use 2007 even if it run on it).

Comment

Anyone know if you upgrade the Samsung from 1Gb to 2Gb by fitting another 1Gb stick or by replacing the original 1Gb with a 2Gb stick? Thanks.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I am pretty sure netbook mobos use just one stick, but 2 GB sticks are cheap these days, I've just had 6 delivered yesterday for new SKA server...

XP Home does not have a lot of things that use up memory, I find that 1 GB is fine.

Comment

Cheers AtW.

Comment

Try it first with 1 GB before committing yourself to 2 GB option. I think it uses DDR2 and those 2 GB sticks are very cheap now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Anyone know if you upgrade the Samsung from 1Gb to 2Gb by fitting another 1Gb stick or by replacing the original 1Gb with a 2Gb stick? Thanks.
                  There is only space for one stick. I bought the machine and upgrade at the same time - memory is cheap.
                  Beer
                  is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                  Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Try it first with 1 GB before committing yourself to 2 GB option. I think it uses DDR2 and those 2 GB sticks are very cheap now anyway.
                    Thanks, but I do like to max the RAM on any machine I buy, it's so cheap to do so now anyway and the performance/stability increase is worth it, usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
                      There is only space for one stick. I bought the machine and upgrade at the same time - memory is cheap.
                      Sure, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X