• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Office professional on a netbook?"

Collapse

• mailric
    replied
    NC10 has been running fine for a week now... office 2007 running good, although previous post about the screen getting a bit busy when in Outlook is true. I'm running personal calendar and client calendar at same time too so thats double trouble!

I seem to be leaning over my desk a little more now! But its a whole lot easier on the train when sitting opposite some bloke with a 19" laptop, cock.

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    The NC10 will run Office 2007 fine, however Outlook finds the screen a bit tight on real estate. But it's usuable. Word and the rest are fine.

Also the Asus 901 with a new O/S install of Easy Peasy from www.geteasypeasy.com uses the latest OpenOffice. And this handles MS Office documents very well.

You should upgrade memory as it only costs about £20 to get a 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM ram stick. On both machines it is very easy to do. I used Corsair 2GB Value SO-DIMM DDR2 stick in both machines.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
    Thanks Atw
    That's AtW!

Leave a comment:

• MikeC1408
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's fast enough for VS 2008 - also office 2003 is fine too (would not use 2007 even if it run on it).
    Thanks Atw

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    There is only space for one stick. I bought the machine and upgrade at the same time - memory is cheap.
    Sure, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Try it first with 1 GB before committing yourself to 2 GB option. I think it uses DDR2 and those 2 GB sticks are very cheap now anyway.
    Thanks, but I do like to max the RAM on any machine I buy, it's so cheap to do so now anyway and the performance/stability increase is worth it, usually.

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Anyone know if you upgrade the Samsung from 1Gb to 2Gb by fitting another 1Gb stick or by replacing the original 1Gb with a 2Gb stick? Thanks.
    There is only space for one stick. I bought the machine and upgrade at the same time - memory is cheap.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Try it first with 1 GB before committing yourself to 2 GB option. I think it uses DDR2 and those 2 GB sticks are very cheap now anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Cheers AtW.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I am pretty sure netbook mobos use just one stick, but 2 GB sticks are cheap these days, I've just had 6 delivered yesterday for new SKA server...

XP Home does not have a lot of things that use up memory, I find that 1 GB is fine.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Anyone know if you upgrade the Samsung from 1Gb to 2Gb by fitting another 1Gb stick or by replacing the original 1Gb with a 2Gb stick? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
    Will be using it for a bit of dev work, anyone tried this, if so can the Intel Atom handle it.
    It's fast enough for VS 2008 - also office 2003 is fine too (would not use 2007 even if it run on it).

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    I've installed OSX on a Dell Mini 9 with 2GB of RAM. Currently developing iPhone apps on it, and it works fine. I would say anything officey would be easily handled.

Leave a comment:

• MikeC1408
    replied
    I'm thinking of getting one of these.

Will be using it for a bit of dev work, anyone tried this, if so can the Intel Atom handle it.

Mainly a bit of web stuff using MacroMedia and Access/Excel VBA.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I've got NC10 and it's excellent - just install Office 2003 and you will be fine: XP with 1 GB of RAM makes up for snappy machine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X