• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More than one OS on a mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Seems it would be easier to run Apache, MySQL and Eclipse on Windows in the first place; why go to all that hassle if all you use are cross-platform apps.
    Why would I want to run Windows when I use cross-platform apps and Mac apps? It's considerably more hassle using Windows than OS X

Comment

on the right click issue - I just set my macbook up in preferences (whilst in OSX) with trackpad 'tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click'

So two fingers on trackpad and click the button and up pops right click in windows..
      Twitter: jonsmile

Comment

Originally posted by JonSmile View Post
        on the right click issue - I just set my macbook up in preferences (whilst in OSX) with trackpad 'tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click'

So two fingers on trackpad and click the button and up pops right click in windows..
        No, that's what it's supposed to do. For many people, it just plain doesn't work. The drivers are buggy... for me right-click worked in that way until I went in and changed a setting, after that even putting everything back to default wouldn't give be right-click again.

There's a thread about a million pages long on an Apple forum somewhere complaining about the driver quality.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Why would I want to run Windows when I use cross-platform apps and Mac apps? It's considerably more hassle using Windows than OS X
          That's not what your previous post made it sound like... having to set up virtual machines is not my definition of hassle-free.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            That's not what your previous post made it sound like... having to set up virtual machines is not my definition of hassle-free.
            I have an XP VM containing a clean install; if I need a new VM I just copy it, then double-click to launch a clean system. When I wanted to test something on IE6, IE7 and IE 8 yesterday, it took about a minute for each one: resume the appropriate VM, point the browser at the page, check it was OK, then suspend the VM.

Without VMs it's not even possible to reliably run different versions of IE without a lot of mucking about. Microsoft themselves recommend using VMs if you want to run multiple IE versions without risking damaging your Windows installation.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I have an XP VM containing a clean install; if I need a new VM I just copy it, then double-click to launch a clean system. When I wanted to test something on IE6, IE7 and IE 8 yesterday, it took about a minute for each one: resume the appropriate VM, point the browser at the page, check it was OK, then suspend the VM.

Without VMs it's not even possible to reliably run different versions of IE without a lot of mucking about. Microsoft themselves recommend using VMs if you want to run multiple IE versions without risking damaging your Windows installation.
              WHS.

This is exactly why I like VMs. Its the future.

Comment

Working...
              X