• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More than one OS on a mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More than one OS on a mac

there are several ways to skin this cat - anyone got any experience/preferences on running linux/windows on a mac? What would you recommend?

Thanks
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Boot Camp

I use Boot Camp, fairly straight forward. Perhaps not as versatile as Parallels software but for the amount of time i have to run windows based software, it wasnt worth the outlay.

Alan

Comment

I run VMWare on my iMac. I've got two flavours of linux, and two versions of Windows. VMWare is great!

Comment

I tried a virtual machine system and it was terrible. Really slow, and I couldn't get Windows to recognise the graphics card.

So I used BootCamp and it's great... with one big bug. If you have a MacBook with the multitouch pad, there are not proper drivers for this... scrolling and right-click support are really flaky despite it being reported hundreds of times to Apple. I literally have no way of right-clicking on mine using the trackpad, it's easy enough to plug in any USB mouse to remedy this but that's not always feasible.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Does anyone have any reviews of Parallels Desktop for Mac?
          I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I tried a virtual machine system and it was terrible. Really slow, and I couldn't get Windows to recognise the graphics card.
            ...but was it VMWare and could you dedicate enough memory to the virtual machine? My virtual machines are fairly speedy but they're crap for game playing of course.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

So I used BootCamp and it's great... with one big bug. If you have a MacBook with the multitouch pad, there are not proper drivers for this... scrolling and right-click support are really flaky despite it being reported hundreds of times to Apple. I literally have no way of right-clicking on mine using the trackpad, it's easy enough to plug in any USB mouse to remedy this but that's not always feasible.
              Old skool one button goodness!

I had this problem when I first got my macbook and boot camp was in beta - there was a little program you could download that mapped control-click to the secondary click.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
                Does anyone have any reviews of Parallels Desktop for Mac?
                Cheese Louise... ^^^ click search... go on give it a try it really works...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

VM's work fine for general IT type stuff, either VMware, Parallels or Virtual Box ( free ). Otherwise Bootcamp if you need the full Billyware experience - for playing games for example.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

VMWare Server is free. Not sure if there is a host version for the Crapintosh though. I guess I could check... but I can't be bothered.
                    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Working...
                    X