• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mobile phone unlocking - grrrrr

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mobile phone unlocking - grrrrr

Just spent 1 hour and got nowhere. except find how mobile phone companies rip joe public off.

why is mobile phone locking legal?

next time I will just buy a mobile without sim - then put my own in!

This any good?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/pho...k-mobile-phone

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Many thanks - I did try there along with other sites.

I have a nokia E65 - seems to be a newer model. I tried a site where I phone up - £1.50 per minute - 5 minute call - but neither code worked. Seems they dont support my model......

So I got another one which said it would unlock for £2.50 - seems I just get a report!

Looked online and best way is to send phone off - they return it unlocks. costs £10. Shops and three charge £30+.

This all started as I HATE three mobile - I got an 18 month contract runs out Jan 09. Called them tonight - they suggested putting sim card in another phone. So I swapped with my pimp mobile(O2) - neither sim worked in the other phone!

I am either going to buy an N95(unlikely) or just a phone with good camera(and not much else) - unlocked. Then try virgin mobile - I can get a good deal but want to see if I get reception.

My pimp mobile works anywhere - my three mobile does not work at home or work - its **SO** embarrassing giving people more than 1 number.

Comment

Doesn't your local/nearest shopping centre have one of those mobile phone accessory kiosk outlets? They usually unlock phones as well.

Comment

Good old fashioned yellow pages and taking phone along worked best I found.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Just spent 1 hour and got nowhere. except find how mobile phone companies rip joe public off.

why is mobile phone locking legal?

next time I will just buy a mobile without sim - then put my own in!
            Just bought a new Nokia in Cell City Vancouver on the Verizon network. The number appears to have been recently recycled and I keep getting calls from a Capital One's call centre in India asking for Janey Miller! What a bonus!

Bad bad Janey Miller. Ran up your Capital One card to the max and then bunked!

Edit:

Just called me again (they are hugely prolific callers) and I lost it with the poor lass, effing and blinding - feel a bit ashamed now. Not her fault - bloody Capital One parasite barstards
            Last edited by bogeyman; 22 November 2008, 16:08.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Good old fashioned yellow pages and taking phone along worked best I found.
              Had a look at that and made a few calls - but no local independent shops seem to offer this service. nearest I could find is Croydon.

looks like I might have to either :-
              a. send it away - a few auctions on ebay for this stuff
              b. buy a turbo sim card (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BB5-TURBO-SIM-...1%7C240%3A1318) - that one does not require cutting as some do.
              c. just buy a cheap 2G phone - already unlocked. I dont use the 3G features anyway. Besides phone the only thing I occasionally use is a camera. And I rarely use that.

Comment

I unlock my cellphone almost immeadiately - just went on ebay.

Buy the unlock code - download their software - connect usb cable - goes on line to verify - bingo unlocked - however the 'flash' remains as the carrier installed ergo Orange sim in Vodafone colours etc

Comment

I got the turbo sim card - but did not work. the conversationwith the seller is not going well :-

=========================
                  Dear *blobby*,

Hi,

I received the sim card today - but did not work. I have a Nokia E65 locked to three - and a samsung(2g) locked to O2. Both work. I tried each in the other phone with the boost. Neither did. I didn't expect the 3 sim to work in the samsung - but I did expect the O2 sim to work in the nokia e65. It was a bit of a tight squeeze - but I was careful - and looks like it only goes one way up(its a sort of male-female fit) - but it refused to connect to the network. It just said offline. I then tried the three sim again and it worked.

Will the card definetly work with an E65 as it did not seem to?
                  ==========================
                  Hi there if the mobile phone is on the compatibility list then it defiantely should
                  Dear *blobby*,

Just tried it again - it definetly does not work. phone just says offline. Do you have any other suggestions for what I can do?

I am not keen on returning the item for a refund - but if I have to I will.
                  Have you followed any instructions at all?
                  I read what was on the listing and in the packaging - I think I am doing everything correctly.

Your replies are very short and not really helpful - are you going to try to assist? Please resend the instructions and I will retry.

Thanks

Looks like I will have to go to a mobile unlocking shop or send it to one......

Comment

I took mine to our local market - £10 to unlock it there and then. If they can't unlock it, you don't pay.

Sorry to hear about the probs, though.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X