• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

About to get broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to get broadband

Now I think I need an ADSL hardware router thingy that can have firewall software installed on it. I remember on the old forum some of our resident gee..gurus explained what what needed and who to buy it from.

Can anyone help info on this?

Ta.

Cojak - hopeless tart.

PS. Also, could anyone help me explain to hubby why no-one will take (let alone buy) a 5 year old PIII computer from me? "But it cost you £1500!..."
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

ADSLguide

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/summary.asp

for router use 3com 3crwdr100a-72 wireless router, about £50.

PIII problem - Would you get any money for a 5 year old mobile phone, personal cd player or walkman? Technology moves on. Give it to a deserving cause or hide it in a black bag and get rid of it at the tip.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Dunno. You do see some fairly daft prices for ancient computers in Friday Ad and similar. Whether they get any offers I don't know but may be worth a try.

On ADSL routers, we have one by Zoom that seems to work pretty well. decent front end with diagnostic tests, status and lots of options I do not understand. Think first decision you need to make though is wires or wireless. How easy are a lot of cables through your house?

That about exhausts my knowledge on subject unless you go wired - if so please ask again Feng Shui issues, wires have to be carefully routed to avoid spoiling the Karma.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thanks guys. I owe you....
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
          Thanks guys. I owe you....
          Jacko, as for the PIII, there'll be a Linux Gee... erm Guru out there that'll take it off your hands...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak

PS. Also, could anyone help me explain to hubby why no-one will take (let alone buy) a 5 year old PIII computer from me? "But it cost you £1500!..."
            Actually a PIII is perfectly okay for surfing the net, email, instant messenging so I'm sure there will be some charity, club, school, asylum seeker that will take it off your hands.

Or you could help AtW out and become one of his SKA troopers by using your PIII and some of your broadband Super Killer App

Comment

Actually a PIII is perfectly okay for surfing the net, email, instant messengi...
              *Cojak clamps hand over Dimprawn's mouth while desperately looking around in case Hubby is near*

Sshhhh!

Comment

I'm on! Downloaded a 37mb file in a couple of minutes...

Cojak has joined the 21st century (now I've just got to sort out the driver for my dragging monitor).

Thanks chaps.

Comment

What a dragging monitor? Is this the latest thing? Why haven't I got one? It isn't fair!
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

probably not the best description.

scrolling is jumpy rather than smooth (just discovered that the video device hasn't got a driver and I'm not sure of the make) - I'm going to contact the company I bought the computer from on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                    X