• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best 'Teach Yourself' Java

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd also recommend Head First Java. It's the only larn-tha'-sen book I've ever completed.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
      From my dim and distant (but mostly dim) Java days, and assuming you're after something with more street cred than the "Head First" or "Dummies" range
      OT somewhat, but I'm intrigued to see the "Head First" books lumped in the same general category as the "For Dummies" books.

I've never read a "For Dummies" book (although I did once burst out laughing in Borders upon seeing the tautologous title "Astrology for Dummies"), but the "Head First" books are, in my experience, excellent.

To take one example, "Head First Design Patterns" is probably the best book one could read to gain a grounding in that subject. I say this as someone who first read the GoF book "Design Patterns" years ago, and who has edits on the original patterns wiki (Ward's wiki, the very first wiki in the world) dating back to the late 90s. When I read HFDP, it actually enhanced my understanding of various patterns that I thought I already knew very well.

I'm not sure a Dummies book is designed to do that for somebody already familiar with a field, but enhancing your understanding, even if you're already familiar with the subject, is one of the intended purposes of a Head First book.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        OT somewhat, but I'm intrigued to see the "Head First" books lumped in the same general category as the "For Dummies" books.
        I may have been a tad unfair to the "Head First" books in mentioning them so closely to the Dummies series - their design patterns book is good for those seeking a grounding in the subject as you say (in fact it's one I recommend). I think the light-hearted style can be off-putting and irritating to some though (it's a love 'em or hate 'em kinda thing), and I've heard that some of the other titles lack depth - although picking up a more detailed companion text would solve this.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        ...but enhancing your understanding, even if you're already familiar with the subject, is one of the intended purposes of a Head First book.
        I'm not sure I would agree that is a strict intention of the head first series and something they set out to achieve i.e. to appeal to those already familiar with the subject (certainly not the ones I've read anyway) but if they do achieve that as a side effect then all credit to them.
        Last edited by voodooflux; 31 August 2008, 11:41.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
        X