• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best 'Teach Yourself' Java

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 'Teach Yourself' Java

Need to learn some Java but have time to do a course. I already know some basics and have numerous software products already (RAD, RFT, Eclipse, etc) so thought I would get a couple of books and spend the evenings in my hotel doing some 'self certifiable' training so any recommendations on what the best books are out there?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

I've no idea but a quick Google throws up some online learning resources (assuming you have Internet in the evenings):

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
    http://www.javabeginner.com/index.htm
    http://www.freejavaguide.com/corejava.htm

Then of course there is:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/java/

Books? No idea.

Comment

From my dim and distant (but mostly dim) Java days, and assuming you're after something with more street cred than the "Head First" or "Dummies" range

The Java Programming Language, 4th Edition - co-written by the daddy of Java, James Gosling. The K&R of Java.

Once you're familiar with the basics:

Effective Java by Joshua Bloch is well worth a read, but I'm not sure how up to date it is.

Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel - third edition is free online.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I'll add that once you've grasped the basics, by far the best way to learn is to find a project on something like SourceForge that has open bugs and see if you can fix any of them - they may even accept your changes and then you can add it to your CV as well. It's a win win situation.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
          I'll add that once you've grasped the basics, by far the best way to learn is to find a project on something like SourceForge that has open bugs and see if you can fix any of them
          Or if you really fancy a challenge then try fixing some of the stuff on IBM Alphaworks.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

and also visit JavaRanch

JavaRanch

And another vote for Effective Java by Joshua Bloch - maybe a bit out of date; but I guess the ideas still apply. Not just to Java either!

Also check out the Java Posse podcast - to find out whats happening in the java world....

Comment

I would actually recommend Head First Java - if you're already moderately familiar with the language it'll firm up your understanding of the basics and get you up to speed on more advanced language features very rapidly. Make sure you get the second edition.

Then there's Head First EJB and Head First JSP and Servlets (second edition again) depending on which application areas you're interested in.

And the absolutely essential reference, IMHO, is Java in a Nutshell (fifth edition): when you're familiarising yourself with a new area of the Java API, the quick summary and listing of all classes and their properties and methods are invaluable. Over the years I've had every edition from the first onwards next to my keyboard for long periods

Online, there's over 800 articles at O'Reilly's OnJava site. Some of them are bound to be useful.

Comment

For some light relief, there's also Farmer Bunny's Big Cup o'Java, by Carlton Egremont III.

Comment

I found the best books are the primers for the Sun Certification tests - all you need without too much waffle. HTH.

Comment

This got 5 stars.
                    Last edited by Bob Dalek; 22 August 2008, 20:57.

Comment

Working...
                    X