• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountancy software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountancy software

When I started out with my Ltd Co I had fully intended to run all my books using some basic excel spreadsheets. I figured with "only" basic expenses, payroll, sales and VAT to worry about it should be straight forward to do. Now, as time goes by, I see that accountancy software is not that expensive and the concept of the excel sheets is getting more involved.....

I thought I was see what the rest of the freelance world was doing before I succumbed to the temptation of the software!!

So........

1) What do you do for accounting?

2) If you use excel, how many different spreadsheets do you have and for what?

3) If you succumbed to a software package, what one did you go for and why?

Thanks as always for the input!

we use Sage Accounts plus 50 version 10.

very good - if a bit tricky to use until you get use to it.
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Books

Quickbooks & Bank QIF to IIF assistant to download from the bank.

I understand quicken has a business version now so that might be better.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Sage Instant Accounts 8.2

Maybe I should upgrade but what I have works just fine.

Comment

Seems easy just keeping a couple of spreadsheets showing invoices and expenses, but then you have to add fields to show if had been paid personally/by bank account, if received, if vattable etc etc etc and the whole thing gradually becomes a Frankenstein monster. My accountancy sheets ate Lincolnshire last year.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Now I'm in VAT land, my life has been made much easier through using Quickbooks.

(I also got accountancy software in my Linux Mandrake Discovery 10.0 distro but was already using QB...)
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
            X