• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit confused about Vista SP1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit confused about Vista SP1

In another thread Dim says Vista is much better with SP1 but going to the MS page it strongly reccomends using windows update rather than a stand alone download as update checks for incompatible drivers etc. The download link just refers you to page that says how to use windows update.

I assume therefore that as I have always had auto update turned on I already have SP1? Just that this does not fit with all the stuff I have read before about it not being part of automated update.

Can anyone confirm that if one uses auto windows update there is no need to do anything specific about SP1? Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can anyone confirm that if one uses auto windows update there is no need to do anything specific about SP1? Cheers.
    Windows Update downloaded SP1 for me on my lappy last night, installed with no probs. YMMV obviously.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

If you open My Computer from the desktop and click on Help>About Windows it will tell you what version you are running including any service packs you have installed.

IIRC Auto Update should have pulled down SP1 and installed it for you automagically assuming you have it turned on and set to install updates without asking.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Xog, if you right click the Computer icon and select Properties, it should say "Service Pack 1" under the Windows Edition section. If not, you don't have SP1 installed.

In which case, go to Windows Update page and download and install it.

Comment

Right click My Computer, and it should tell you if you have SP1 installed already. Should have come throughh WU by now I would have thought..

Comment

In another thread Dim says Vista is much better with SP1 but going to the MS page it strongly reccomends using windows update rather than a stand alone download as update checks for incompatible drivers etc. The download link just refers you to page that says how to use windows update.

I assume therefore that as I have always had auto update turned on I already have SP1? Just that this does not fit with all the stuff I have read before about it not being part of automated update.

I'm not sure why, (something to do with my settings) but in my setup it didn't download and install automatically. I think this is because I don't leave it all to go on automatically in the background. When I checked (because of that other thread) it was listed as (IIRC) a recommended update and I had to tick the box to say I wanted it.

Best way to find out is run Windows Update manually from the menu and see if it offers it to you.

There's a log somewhere of what updates have been applied IIRC.

[edit - or just follow vastly better advice from other posters - bah!]
            Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 30 July 2008, 11:20.

Comment

Odd. A few minutes back I installed the 2 updates it said it needed. No indication of service pack 1 installed. Then returned and it said it still had 1 important update, service pack 1. So hopefully it will be sorted soon.

PS If it screws my PC up I will be sending Dim the bill.
              bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Seems ok and now says service pack 1. Ta for advice. Being retired now off to laze about in garden. Sneer sneer.
                bloggoth

Comment

Odd. A few minutes back I installed the 2 updates it said it needed. No indication of service pack 1 installed. Then returned and it said it still had 1 important update, service pack 1. So hopefully it will be sorted soon.

PS If it screws my PC up I will be sending Dim the bill.
                  I believe it won't show you SP1 until everything else is up to date - they had problems with people installing it without installing the other updates (drivers and so forth) that they needed to make it work.

Comment

Working...
                  X