• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vista disc caning - solution?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista disc caning - solution?

Mentioned in a recent post that the various tips on internet, turning off windows search, superfetch, readyboost, automatic defrag, automatic defender virus check, set a fixed virtual memory and doing clean ups did not do the trick.

Downloaded freeware procmon.exe and found two inessential programs coming up all the time, vsnpstd3.exe and hpqtra08.exe. With those closed down I am not getting the disc usage problem. You may not have those but worth checking for anything else, some windows sidebar progs have been blamed. The net will usualy tell you if anything is important.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I solved all my Vista usage problems with fdisk.exe

On a more serious note what does Vista do that XP did not? I'm in the market for a replacement laptop and it proving rather tricky to avoid the vista business...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Better solution than chucking PC out of the window. Absolutely nowt as far as I can see, I have to use it unfortunately as sell my own software.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I solved all my Vista usage problems with fdisk.exe

On a more serious note what does Vista do that XP did not? I'm in the market for a replacement laptop and it proving rather tricky to avoid the vista business...
        Hogs resources, runs slow, thrashes the hardrive, doesnt do network file transfer properly.

You can still get legitimate OEM versions of XP if you look in gthe right places on the net ( allegedly )
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

eg. http://www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-41-92-0

Dang that's expensive!
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Defrag runs as a background task in Vista, so it could possibly be this.

Run "dfrgui.exe" to get the Vista defragger UI. It shows when it last ran.

Best feature of Vista that I have found is the backup facility which is now usable.

Comment

I am assuming you have Vista SP1 installed. Vista without SP1 is no good at all.

Personally I have no issues with Vista at all. It all works perfectly. Saying that, so did XP and I can see very little to make Vista any better than XP.

Saying that, Windows 2000 was pretty good too and XP didn't really add much.

Just avoid Linux and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                I am assuming you have Vista SP1 installed. Vista without SP1 is no good at all.

Personally I have no issues with Vista at all. It all works perfectly. Saying that, so did XP and I can see very little to make Vista any better than XP.

Saying that, Windows 2000 was pretty good too and XP didn't really add much.

Just avoid Linux and you'll be fine.
                Bah! Windows 95 and NT 3.51 all the way m8

Comment

Working...
                X