• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPhone unlocking and other stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPhone unlocking and other stuff

Thinking about getting myself an iPhone as a Birthday prezzie if and when the 3G version arrives.* Got a few questions for those who already have one.

1. How reliable is the unlocking software available atm and would you recommend one in particular.

2. Is it possible to buy one from 02 or CPW without the contract being activated or do they make you sign up and turn it on, on the spot?

* Yes I know there are other phone available that do the same thing or do it better etc etc
    Last edited by DaveB; 25 April 2008, 10:15.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

dont know about the software, however they make you sign something saying you have braodband etc, but not a contract, not even a credit check.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Unless you want to run something dodgy, the itunes appstore will be open in a couple of months - you'll be able to get most of everything you need.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Unless you want to run something dodgy, the itunes appstore will be open in a couple of months - you'll be able to get most of everything you need.
        I meant he software available from other thrid parties that removes the lock in to an O2 sim card so you can use it on any network.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          I meant he software available from other thrid parties that removes the lock in to an O2 sim card so you can use it on any network.
          Aha.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

yes its easy, and realiable - see ziphone

Comment

Hi,

I am a phone technician, i wouldnt unlock it willy nilly, get it done by someone who knows what they are doing, reason being it can corrup firmware then you are buggered and it can kill phone!

downsides of hving an unlocked iphone is that you cannot get any itune or phone updates, if you do then your phone will get locked. You can get unlocked ready handsets, but ofcourse not from shops as they dont sell them unlocked well cpw etc dont.

Hope it helps.

Comment

I unlocked my phone using this site: http://iphone.unlock.no/

follow the instructions to the letter and you'll not have any problems. You can even refresh the firmware if you like. These Norwegian have so many hours of darkness they'll do anything to occupy their time until the light returns, so you can be assured the site is kept up to date.

Another interesting site, for installing software iPhone related stuff is:

http://www.iclarified.com/

http://www.iclarified.com/tutorials/iphone/index.php
                Last edited by scooterscot; 27 April 2008, 21:28.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  * Yes I know there are other phone available that do the same thing or do it better etc etc
                  that might appear as good or even better but which can't hold a candle to the real thing

Comment

I used http://www.iphone-dev.org/ happy bunny now.
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                    X