• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quad or eight core?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quad or eight core?

Have a choice for my new work PC.

I will be running Visual Studio 2008

Either: 2 * Xeon 5320 Quad 1.86GHz. Total Eight cores
    Or 2 * Xeon 5140 Dual 2.33GHz. Total Four cores.

Why not 1 x quad core for the time being, then you can always drop another processor in at some stage if you need to?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If you are running Vista, as many as possible, a few hundred preferably.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Quad will be more than enough - I run VS 2005 on dual core AMD and it's fine, just have plenty of RAM (at least 2 GB), just had VS 2008 installed the other day but have not used it much, but it seems to be more or less inline with VS 2005 requirements.

Best get PC with single quad core, rather than twin dual cores - you don't need Xeons for this, get Q6600 it is a fine quad core chip, I use it in one of my servers, the other one uses dual quad cores Xeons, and more yet use dual cores

Comment

I'll just weigh in now that I've had a half hour playing with VS2008... It all seems IO bound, so I can't really tell the difference on the number of cores. I swapped in a solid state hard disk, now that speeded things up.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

A dual core is more than enough for a VS. But if you write software that should use multiple cores than having quad core is very good.

Comment

i ain't paying.

so i just want the best option of those two, nothing else besides those two options

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
                i ain't paying.
                But someone else is. So the best option is to give that person good analysis and conclude that you will do fine with a quad core, which would also save money to whoever is paying: this means you will be in their good books - priceless, eh?

Comment

Talking about multi-core, I found that 7-zip won't run on any of them, even dual-core, which seems very odd. Let's hope the author fixes it pronto, because it is one of the best compression programs, far better than cranky old WinZip, and is free (open-source actually).
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I used 7-zip just the other week on a Dual-core Athlon PC.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X