• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any of you got this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are nice. Wait a while and the internal PCI express 3g card will be in the shops - unless I've missed it - and if so a link would be highly appreciated!

Got the black 4G 701, seeing how I go with Xandros KDE full desktop for a while then will consider Xubuntu. Some interesting forums out there on modding your eee.

Comment

I love mine - I should be on commission as four people around me at work have got them on order as well now!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

some great sites to bookmark and watch on the eee:

Stage 6 (like tvlinks/youtube but higher quality)
        BBC iPlayer plus the radio - surf away in other windows while listening, something the existing ui prevents)

Found the advanced mode of Xandros has some bugs - the battery monitor duplicates itself in the taskbar, for instance, and copy&paste fails across applications.

Watch this space and suggest resources. The forums aren't quite as good as CUK - limited search functionality and few sticky threads.

Considering blitzing the OS in favour of another Linux distribution but will bide my time, see what the chatter is.

Any other tips?

Comment

He, he - this thread just won't die, will it.

Now thinking of buying one of these for my old man as he is learning to use a PC.

However, wanted to run it with XP and maybe Word but worried it may not have enough HDD space as I know an install of XP Pro plus SP2 with the latest windows updates comes to about 5Gb and this laptop only comes with a 4Gb HDD.

Anyone successfully running this little baby with XP who can advise how much HDD space is required.

Also, is it any good with XP on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            He, he - this thread just won't die, will it.

Now thinking of buying one of these for my old man as he is learning to use a PC.

However, wanted to run it with XP and maybe Word but worried it may not have enough HDD space as I know an install of XP Pro plus SP2 with the latest windows updates comes to about 5Gb and this laptop only comes with a 4Gb HDD.

Anyone successfully running this little baby with XP who can advise how much HDD space is required.

Also, is it any good with XP on it?
            You need some kind of external device for XP - either a USB hard drive or a pen drive. I've not done it with XP, but there are plenty of guides about it:

Instructions on YouTube: http://youtube.com/?v=62Lw2UeBSiA

http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/ins...usb-thumb.html

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxp
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              some great sites to bookmark and watch on the eee:

Stage 6 (like tvlinks/youtube but higher quality)
              BBC iPlayer plus the radio - surf away in other windows while listening, something the existing ui prevents)

Found the advanced mode of Xandros has some bugs - the battery monitor duplicates itself in the taskbar, for instance, and copy&paste fails across applications.

Watch this space and suggest resources. The forums aren't quite as good as CUK - limited search functionality and few sticky threads.

Considering blitzing the OS in favour of another Linux distribution but will bide my time, see what the chatter is.

Any other tips?
              For some reason, ctrl-f4 on Firefox doesn't close tabs for me in desktop mode, but does in easy mode.

I was (pleasantly) surprised to find that the video software plays XVID and DIVX without any additional codecs required, unlike Windows Media Player.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
              X