• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any of you got this?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    some great sites to bookmark and watch on the eee:

Stage 6 (like tvlinks/youtube but higher quality)
    BBC iPlayer plus the radio - surf away in other windows while listening, something the existing ui prevents)

Found the advanced mode of Xandros has some bugs - the battery monitor duplicates itself in the taskbar, for instance, and copy&paste fails across applications.

Watch this space and suggest resources. The forums aren't quite as good as CUK - limited search functionality and few sticky threads.

Considering blitzing the OS in favour of another Linux distribution but will bide my time, see what the chatter is.

Any other tips?
    For some reason, ctrl-f4 on Firefox doesn't close tabs for me in desktop mode, but does in easy mode.

I was (pleasantly) surprised to find that the video software plays XVID and DIVX without any additional codecs required, unlike Windows Media Player.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    He, he - this thread just won't die, will it.

Now thinking of buying one of these for my old man as he is learning to use a PC.

However, wanted to run it with XP and maybe Word but worried it may not have enough HDD space as I know an install of XP Pro plus SP2 with the latest windows updates comes to about 5Gb and this laptop only comes with a 4Gb HDD.

Anyone successfully running this little baby with XP who can advise how much HDD space is required.

Also, is it any good with XP on it?
    You need some kind of external device for XP - either a USB hard drive or a pen drive. I've not done it with XP, but there are plenty of guides about it:

Instructions on YouTube: http://youtube.com/?v=62Lw2UeBSiA

http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/ins...usb-thumb.html

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxp

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    He, he - this thread just won't die, will it.

Now thinking of buying one of these for my old man as he is learning to use a PC.

However, wanted to run it with XP and maybe Word but worried it may not have enough HDD space as I know an install of XP Pro plus SP2 with the latest windows updates comes to about 5Gb and this laptop only comes with a 4Gb HDD.

Anyone successfully running this little baby with XP who can advise how much HDD space is required.

Also, is it any good with XP on it?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    some great sites to bookmark and watch on the eee:

Stage 6 (like tvlinks/youtube but higher quality)
    BBC iPlayer plus the radio - surf away in other windows while listening, something the existing ui prevents)

Found the advanced mode of Xandros has some bugs - the battery monitor duplicates itself in the taskbar, for instance, and copy&paste fails across applications.

Watch this space and suggest resources. The forums aren't quite as good as CUK - limited search functionality and few sticky threads.

Considering blitzing the OS in favour of another Linux distribution but will bide my time, see what the chatter is.

Any other tips?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I love mine - I should be on commission as four people around me at work have got them on order as well now!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    These are nice. Wait a while and the internal PCI express 3g card will be in the shops - unless I've missed it - and if so a link would be highly appreciated!

Got the black 4G 701, seeing how I go with Xandros KDE full desktop for a while then will consider Xubuntu. Some interesting forums out there on modding your eee.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    Any more impressions on this? Did anyone buy the one with the built in 3G?

I'm getting that end-of-contract gadget itch...
    I use my USB 3G modem with it with no problems.

Still not really done anything with it, but it's good enough for what I want.

Could do with being able to change the resolution on screen, but you can't. It detected my USB drive with no problems, but I've not tried it with a wired or wireless connection yet.

Anything you're particularly interested in?

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Any more impressions on this? Did anyone buy the one with the built in 3G?

I'm getting that end-of-contract gadget itch...

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Faqqer - I'd be interested in your impressions on it as time goes by, if you have the time. Almost bought one when Asda had them in stock, although that Vye one does look good!

I might have to post in the Accounting forum to see when my current laptop can be fully depreciated, to fund this...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    http://www.laptopmag.com/Review/Excl...Eee-PC-701.htm

It's only £220. Sounds ideal for when you're on the move.
    Got mine today

Just need to get used to the smaller keys than I'm used to.

Detected my 3 USB modem with no problems, but all I've done so far is to surf CUK

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Well, I've got one on order now. Hopefully should be here this week or next, so will let you know what it's like when I've played with it for a while.
    Laptops Direct say they are getting stock 27th November; Dabs says 3 to 4 weeks; eBuyer doesn't seem to have it any more.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Well, I've got one on order now. Hopefully should be here this week or next, so will let you know what it's like when I've played with it for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Newbie000
    replied
    Hmmm looks interesting

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile...e-PC-4G-701/p1

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I'd stick with Linux on it, as long as I can get my modem to work.
    I'd definitely try and get leopard working on it, then I can use it as a "Back to My Mac" Terminal type thing

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    That's cheating
    I like the idea of Linux - I'm an old school UNIX bod.
    I'd stick with Linux on it, as long as I can get my modem to work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X