• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching to Mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete Cullen View Post
    I would say Parallels too, I have a 20" iMac that I bought earlier this year, and run everything in OS X with the exception of Outlook 2007 that I run in Parallels.

Don't buy a memory upgrade from Apple though, they charge an extortionate amount of money for their RAM. Go for the standard memory and then buy a 4Gb upgrade from Crucial or another reputable RAM manufacturer. Provided you want that much RAM of course!
    I can definitely recommend Crucial. When I got my MacBook last year I ordered a RAM upgrade from their UK site at around 4:30 in the evening; at 8:00 the next morning my order arrived in the post.

Of course, postal strikes may interfere with this process at the moment...

Comment

I'm looking at the 2.8ghz 24" iMac with 2Gb of Ram. Not sure if I will be running bootcamp/parallels etc atm cos I will still have the old PC, at least initially, untill I get everything up and "Macified". I'm assuming that Mac OS isn't the same sort of resource hog as Vista?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        I'm assuming that Mac OS isn't the same sort of resource hog as Vista?
        Sh*t no...not even close...
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

It's not uncommon for me to find myself using my year-old MacBook (2 Gig RAM) with:
          • Safari
          • Firefox
          • Opera
          • Eclipse IDE
          • Parallels VM: WinXP SP2 allocated 512M of RAM
          • Mail
          • iCal
          • iTunes
          • iPhoto
          • iDVD (encoding and burning)
          • Transmit FTP client
          • Adium chat client
          • Chicken of the VNC (allowing me to use my old PowerMac G4 without having to get up and walk to the desk)
          • Apache web server (comes with the OS) running several PHP4 apps (comes with the OS) connecting to a mySQL database, and maybe an instance of Tomcat running a couple of Java Servlet apps

and I only realise just how many apps I have open when I absent-mindedly open another Parallels VM which also has 512M allocated to it and switching between stuff becomes a bit slow. This usually comes about because I never log out, just shut the lid when done and open it again when I need it. With 60+ days of uptime*, you can end up opening a lot of apps and just forgetting to close them again.

Of course that's only a laptop; you can expect a desktop machine to do better than that.

* There's usually a system update requiring a restart every couple of months or so, so I don't often get past 60 days uptime - although I was over 100 days once when I'd forgotten to approve the restart-after-update for a month or so
          Last edited by NickFitz; 18 October 2007, 16:20. Reason: Added disclaimer about limitations of laptop

Comment

I have used Macs since the early 90s and I've not used a PC in the house since.

Why not buy a cheaper one and see what you think. I am using a Mini (LG 19' monitor, HP keyboard and Logitech mouse) now and have one of the new 20' iMac downstairs for the faimily. Think I may have that round the wrong way.

I've not experienced the crashes reported above.

Comment

Are you mad? My CPU usage is below 5% most of the time unless I'm processing video or something. The system is silent like the grave I never hear it, applications just appear.

I agree with NickFitz it's about the little things that make is stand out from windows. You can work on a mac all day and produce work to show for it while not getting frustrated over updates, hard drive grinding away doing knows what... it's all about the little things.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Late to the thread but I'll chime in in favour of Macs too. I bought my first Mac about a year ago now (MacBook, Core 2 Duo, 2Gb RAM) and I'd never go back now. It does absolutely everything I require, much faster and snappier than it used to in Windows. It's also a thing of beauty (I have a black one) and always gets comments when I get it out of its case in a work situation.

I don't bother with Parallels - there's no Windows software that I need that I haven't managed to replace with native software. YMMV in this area though.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Ok, I'm looking at replacing my personal PC, an aging Medion 2ghz box running XP. Apart from simply replacing it with another PC I'm also thinking of changing to a Mac. For those who have Mac's or have made the switch what are the agruments in favour that justify the additional cost?

I need it for the usual office functions plus some games ( WoW and Counter Strike mainly ).

I'm looking at a 24" Imac that comes in at £1459 on the Apple Store.

Is there any software recommended over and above that supplied with it? ( apart from Office, also looking at Open Office for Mac )
                  Funnily enough, I swapped from probably that self same Medion model to an Apple. I got myself one of them Apple G5 8 core jobbies and it came with a VMWare utility that copied the XP to an image I can run on the Apple. Not everything works obviously, the Apple doesn't have the card readers and what not, but most stuff does.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Medion
                    youtube.com/watch?v=ar8bXYS-eKQ

Apple

VMWare utility
                    You are lonelygirl15 and I claim my £5.

Comment

If you're working for a large corporate, you may find that they have a reduced deal with Apple. I got 6% off working for a large Japanese electronics company, and 6% off working for a large US company. All you need to do is flash your ID badge in store, and give you an immediate discount.

This also applies to ipods etc....
                      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                      X