• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching to Mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching to Mac

Ok, I'm looking at replacing my personal PC, an aging Medion 2ghz box running XP. Apart from simply replacing it with another PC I'm also thinking of changing to a Mac. For those who have Mac's or have made the switch what are the agruments in favour that justify the additional cost?

I need it for the usual office functions plus some games ( WoW and Counter Strike mainly ).

I'm looking at a 24" Imac that comes in at £1459 on the Apple Store.

Is there any software recommended over and above that supplied with it? ( apart from Office, also looking at Open Office for Mac )
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Toast Titanium (for burning disks). This is very good. All of the other required apps can be got from any Mac site.

Office 2004 for Mac is very good. I also like iWork 08 and iLife 08.

Everything is just so much easier ont he Mac. It h as style, reliability, stability, functionality...

And...you can use XP in dual boot more for your games so I would get the biggest hard drive you can.
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Ok, I'm looking at replacing my personal PC, an aging Medion 2ghz box running XP. Apart from simply replacing it with another PC I'm also thinking of changing to a Mac. For those who have Mac's or have made the switch what are the agruments in favour that justify the additional cost?

I need it for the usual office functions plus some games ( WoW and Counter Strike mainly ).

Is there any software recommended over and above that supplied with it? ( apart from Office, also looking at Open Office for Mac )
      VMWare or Bootcamp - then you can install Windows.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        VMWare or Bootcamp - then you can install Windows.
        Both are good...I prefer Bootcamp as it runs native without taking any resources from Mac OS X.
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Do it - I've never looked back. Everything is so much more intuitive than a PC and stuff just works.

You won't need Toast as the OS can handle burning data disks, DVDs and music CDs. If you think you need somethingelse, try Disco.

If you have kids/teacher wife then you can get the education version of MS office for GBP99. I quickly got frustrated with open office.

Also, your new machine will come with a shiny new version of leopard (OSX 10.5)which includes Bootcamp (allows you to boot natively into XP) and loads of other shiny features.

You should also consider Parallels or VMWare if you want to run virtual machines. (Parallels allows you to run your bootcamp partition in a window without having to re-boot).
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
            Both are good...I prefer Bootcamp as it runs native without taking any resources from Mac OS X.
            Does bootcamp just dual boot, though?

A guy I worked with last year had a Mac, with Linux and Windows under VMWare so he could switch between them all without needing to reboot.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Do it - I've never looked back. Everything is so much more intuitive than a PC and stuff just works.
              Ditto. I use my Mac at work professionally and is has never let me down. Got Parallels with XP installed for MS Project and that's all I need it for.

Once I find a decent replacement for Project, I am throwing Windows into the trash can

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Does bootcamp just dual boot, though?

A guy I worked with last year had a Mac, with Linux and Windows under VMWare so he could switch between them all without needing to reboot.

Bootcamp is a dual boot option but you can get Parallels (good but the current version I have limits the graphics memory to 38MB so slow for some things) and VMWare (not tried it...)...

Comment

Once other thing, if you want to run virtualisation software like Parallels or VMWare, then beef up the RAM to about 4GB - that should do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
                    Ditto. I use my Mac at work professionally and is has never let me down. Got Parallels with XP installed for MS Project and that's all I need it for.

Once I find a decent replacement for Project, I am throwing Windows into the trash can
                    I've also got Parallels installed since I only need it for one piece of windows based software (work related). It's shut off from the internet, it works everytime I need it.

I switched to the 24" iMac about 8 months ago, took a couple of months to get used to. Afterwatch you realise how how productivity increases compared to using a PC. Small things that made the differnece for me, widgets, ease of use, no constant updates, the O/S reliability is fantastic, office mac 04 is ease itself. I hate sounding like the advert - but there's a element of truth in that 'it just works'!

You'll not regret. I had delivered with 500gig drive 2gig mem, works a treat.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X